1980's Photos

overthehill

Nope my dad still rides most of the time without gloves. I remember asking him years ago about it and being informed about the good old hands in petrol technique!

Malcolm Rathmell once said "Riding with gloves was like washing yor feet with socks on!"

However - Careful, no-one should handle modern "petrol" with bare hands nowadays, well known fact, it is carcerigenic (cancer forming) and is absorbed through the pores of the skin.

Not recommended!

Handle fuel and lubricants with extreme care!

Also youth riders must wear gloves when riding at trials (ACU handbook TSR 15 - Clothing)

Big John

Fantastic photos overthehill.

Like Schreibers style - check out the throttle hand grip!

Did Jimmy Morton provide the Bulto Schreiber was riding?

He did, with a few"interesting bits" attached, Bernie spent a week or so with Jimmy in Sorn before the Scottish, nice bloke....

Edited by Slapshot 3

Nobody really made a decent trials glove back then. For the SSDT it was common to have some big thick warm ones for the road sections and then stuff them in your jacket for the "bare handed" sections. Scottish mud and gloves don't mix! The grips then were Doherty soft and black and come the evening your palms were as black as soot.... and it would not wash off for weeks.

here's a pic of the same grip on the clutch side

2006_09240024.jpg

Tony

i didnt and still dont. i rode with bernie and mike griffits back in the mid 70,s we were in a club called vote in so cal its awesome to hear from old farts like me that rode the no stop style of trials and remember the greats i can remember me and my dad setting up sections for an event with bernies dad

Great photo's chaps. Interesting to see how many riders didn't wear gloves in those days. Is Harry Crawford the only rider who still rides with bare knuckles?

However - Careful, no-one should handle modern "petrol" with bare hands nowadays, well known fact, it is carcerigenic (cancer forming) and is absorbed through the pores

Oh aren't you a little ray of sunshine?

Mind you what with the smoking, curries and the radiation I've absorbed I suppose the dice are loaded against me.

Oh aren't you a little ray of sunshine?

Mind you what with the smoking, curries and the radiation I've absorbed I suppose the dice are loaded against me.

Yip you said it. I used to use a solvent based cleaner, had 5 litres of it back in 1974, cleanred things a treat, didn't waer gloves, then discovered years later it was really strong nasty stuff, should have worn gloves and probably breathing apparatus!

I won't let my kids handle anything that is remotely connected to petro-chemicals!

Big John

I use to scoff at guys who'd wear gloves will getting all greasy. But after a while I got tired of cleaning my hands and them still smelling like chemicals.

So now I just use Nitrile gloves and don't worry about it.

Kinda coincided with the whole wife thing, now that I think about it, not that they ever nag about dirty hands...

Yip you said it. I used to use a solvent based cleaner, had 5 litres of it back in 1974, cleanred things a treat, didn't waer gloves, then discovered years later it was really strong nasty stuff, should have worn gloves and probably breathing apparatus!

I won't let my kids handle anything that is remotely connected to petro-chemicals!

Big John

Is that when you grew your third nipple John :D