125 Trials Bikes

yamahaty250xox

hi all

im not trying to start a debate of my bike is better than yours but i am looking for a 125 at the moment and dont know wich one to go for.

it undecided between beta and sherco. im looking at bikes from 05-07 so wich would be the best of these years?

i have found a mint sherco paxau for

the paxau sherco sounds good but the 125 gassers are good (well my 08 is very good) apart from that the 07's can overheat because of the size of the radiator but you can buy a bigger one (which is standard on the 08)

the beta's are alright but the 07 would be the best choice i would probably go for the sherco

Edited by GasGasben

Ihave got a paxau sherco an its really good, before that i had a 2006 model and that was standard, I bought a 2007 paxau and it has a bit more power than the standard one. If your only just starting then I would advise you to get a more standard bike, but I am sure you would get used to the paxau !

I have had 3 shercos from 05 to 08 and have loved them all.

My friend had a beta and had problems with it from start to finish.

He ended up with a sherco and has never wanted to come off it.

I think the sherco is the best bike but of corse i will think that.

Try them all and then decide.

My 16 year old (10 stone) has an '07 Beta 125 and loves it. Plush, planted and 100%reliable.

My 12 year old (5 stone) has an '07 Gas Gas 125 and loves it. Bicycle like weight, revs to the moon and also 100% reliable.

Both prefere their own bikes and whilst they have tried the Shercos they have never wanted one.

They're all good, so get the one you fancy.

Got to be the Sherco, forget the Gasser it will explode !

At the very top level for 4 years Alexz Wigg had no dnf's so reliability of gassers is now an urban myth. Last year in the junior wtc it survived intact every event so that is proof enough?

Right you've heard all the crap here's some good advice.

Gas Gas. The bike is light and very flickable. Lots of grip but you can "unstick" it because the engine rev's to the moon with very few problems. The plastics are pretty durable and the bike Bounces well. When you get better it is easy to find parts that improve the performance. Like all Gasser's however they do reward careful maintenance and will punish slip shod work. I'd check the bolts holding everything together and Locktight them. Make sure you oil the filter and fit "short" front airbox bolts at least on the right side of the tank. The Clutch fluid is NOT DOT4 but Mineral Oil as used by Citroen on their Hydrolastic suspension. If you cock up it can mean new seals in the hydraulics as DOT4 perishes them. The Gearbox also seems to prefer Dexron III automatic gearbox oil but is ok on standard.

Beta. The bike does not feel as light BUT is very stable riding over uneven rocks. Grip is also good as the suspension is quite "plush". The engines prior to 2008 tended not to rev as cleanly as the Gas Gas and Sherco because the airbox seemed to restrict breathing and even the new ones with the new box and Kehin Carb don't rev as well as the Gas Gas or Sherco but that's relative really. Cycle parts are good quality and the engine doesn't seem to have many problems. The rear brake linkage is a little vulnerable and has been known to nibble at boots. They use non standard reservoirs on the front brake and clutch which are expensive to replace if broken.

Sherco. A mix between the Beta and Gas Gas. Earlier versions had non adjustable forks and shock. Since the frame change these have been adjustable but most see them as slightly inferior to the Gas Gas and Beta. The 2008 parts seem to be on par though. The frame change caused a few problems with the turning circle so on early ones look for the cut outs on the down tubes. Some riders still complain about it. It's down to the frame splaying out above the radiator for the 4Stroke. The engine seems to be a mixed bag. The bottom end prior to 2008 was pretty strong at the expense of maximum rev's. In the 2008 they modifed it and the bottom end is relatively weaker. Down to you if you can live with it. The engine also,(along with all Sherco engines), has a reputation for bottom end problems. I know of two this year and one of them had to pay to get it fixed on a 6 month old bike. That's despite over speccing on the oil. The Rear Mudguard is also the airbox cover and if you break it in the wrong place in a trial it leaves the airbox open.

Hope that helps and whichever you get look after it and you'll be OK. Remember 125's live on rev's so don't spare the throttle and ride all the bikes, reputations good and bad are nothing if you hate getting on the thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Telecat

Right you've heard all the crap here's some good advice.

Gas Gas. The bike is light and very flickable. Lots of grip but you can "unstick" it because the engine rev's to the moon with very few problems. The plastics are pretty durable and the bike Bounces well. When you get better it is easy to find parts that improve the performance. Like all Gasser's however they do reward careful maintenance and will punish slip shod work. I'd check the bolts holding everything together and Locktight them. Make sure you oil the filter and fit "short" front airbox bolts at least on the right side of the tank. The Clutch fluid is NOT DOT4 but Mineral Oil as used by Citroen on their Hydrolastic suspension. If you cock up it can mean new seals in the hydraulics as DOT4 perishes them. The Gearbox also seems to prefer Dexron III automatic gearbox oil but is ok on standard.

Beta. The bike does not feel as light BUT is very stable riding over uneven rocks. Grip is also good as the suspension is quite "plush". The engines prior to 2008 tended not to rev as cleanly as the Gas Gas and Sherco because the airbox seemed to restrict breathing and even the new ones with the new box and Kehin Carb don't rev as well as the Gas Gas or Sherco but that's relative really. Cycle parts are good quality and the engine doesn't seem to have many problems. The rear brake linkage is a little vulnerable and has been known to nibble at boots. They use non standard reservoirs on the front brake and clutch which are expensive to replace if broken.

Sherco. A mix between the Beta and Gas Gas. Earlier versions had non adjustable forks and shock. Since the frame change these have been adjustable but most see them as slightly inferior to the Gas Gas and Beta. The 2008 parts seem to be on par though. The frame change caused a few problems with the turning circle so on early ones look for the cut outs on the down tubes. Some riders still complain about it. It's down to the frame splaying out above the radiator for the 4Stroke. The engine seems to be a mixed bag. The bottom end prior to 2008 was pretty strong at the expense of maximum rev's. In the 2008 they modifed it and the bottom end is relatively weaker. Down to you if you can live with it. The engine also,(along with all Sherco engines), has a reputation for bottom end problems. I know of two this year and one of them had to pay to get it fixed on a 6 month old bike. That's despite over speccing on the oil. The Rear Mudguard is also the airbox cover and if you break it in the wrong place in a trial it leaves the airbox open.

Hope that helps and whichever you get look after it and you'll be OK. Remember 125's live on rev's so don't spare the throttle and ride all the bikes, reputations good and bad are nothing if you hate getting on the thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think you could get a better summary than that lol :thumbup: