Sherco 290 2001 Project

wraggy78

wraggy78 Posted Today, 01:44 AM

Just one thing though. What are the most common things that you find once the engine is stripped are there generally other things that need replacing or is it usually okay???

Not sure what is common but since it is apart and probably preferable not to do it again anytime soon.

Things to check

Connecting rod bearings (big end and small)

Piston pin

Rings

Crank Bearings (I think that is what you are already changing)

Crank Seals (Ditto)

Tolerance / wear on Piston/Cylinder

Clean carbon, oil, and gunk off Piston and Head

Reed Valves

Condition of Clutch Plates (generally if working good, then gonna be fine MHO)

Water pump seal (if leaking change, other wise leave it be, MHO)

Look over Transmission if anything looks broke or really wore or metal shavings investigate further

Feel free to add if I left something out.

This is from personal experience:-

If this is new to you,like it was for me,beware of falling into ''sheep-mode'' when following instructions.

i.e.

I couldn't work out how to wiggle the engine out according to the manual but after a TC typing break I went back to the task and looked at it...and the engine just slid out!

I had ordered the crank seals using the sizes given in the manuals and guess what?..the manual was wrong (should have got the old seals out first before I ordered new ones).

And finally Esther....re-assembly instructions which don't make sense but you know what they're getting at:-

Quote......

'' 11. Add 450cc of transmission oil and distilled water/coolant mixture to radiator.''...?????? :rotfl:

Enjoy :banana2:

• 2 weeks later...

Its a sad day for my Sherco.......

Finally got around to taking the engine in today after long debating wether to do it myself.

The piston is worn, the bore needs re plating, the con rod needs replacing, etc etc....

Was not expecting quite a long list now I am back to square one with what to do.

Has anyone any ideas on the prices of these as I know the re plating is limited to two companys in the uk. I do not want to throw too much money at it as after all it is 8 years old.

Is this common ware and tear?

oh I am so sad I just wanna get the thing going so I can go enjoy the weather.......

Help please.......

Its a sad day for my Sherco.......

Finally got around to taking the engine in today after long debating wether to do it myself.

The piston is worn, the bore needs re plating, the con rod needs replacing, etc etc....

Was not expecting quite a long list now I am back to square one with what to do.

Has anyone any ideas on the prices of these as I know the re plating is limited to two companys in the uk. I do not want to throw too much money at it as after all it is 8 years old.

Is this common ware and tear?

oh I am so sad I just wanna get the thing going so I can go enjoy the weather.......

Help please.......

On you average trials motor, this type of wear is usually resultant from too much dirt entry over time, wether from poor air filter maintenance or water entry that washed the dirt through the filter unneccessarily. But as you cannot prevent everything, there is going to be normal wear and tear as well.

Not having seen the parts it is hard to judge, but as it seems that your bottom end was your original problem, you could opt to repair it first to a sound state, meaning the bearings seals and rod if needed. If there were not excessive piston noise and slap to begin with, just put a new piston and or ring in it and forego the replate for now, as that is expensive, and can easily be done later as long as the cylinder is not total trash.

Back in the old days, running a MX bike for six months without a total rebuild was good, not to mention the top jobs in between, so it is all relative on a 7-8 year old trials bike, one reason I had to become quite handy at the stuff.

Seems you just need to fix thing as you go really. I certainly have several thousand more dollars over the years changeing bikes from years to years! But in reality, I have to admit that I could probably ride a trial just as well on a good'01 as anything! Your choice! ;)