Tl125 Crank Spec Clarification

tlrider

I am rebuilding a TL125 engine due to the cam chain wiping out the tunnel. The cylinder and piston have absolutely no scoring, in fact they look almost new. This bike had low hours and was not ridden hard.

Anyway, the crank and connecting rod side clearance measures about .007" with feeler gage. .005" goes .010" no-go. My Honda Shop Manual from 1974 for the CB,CL,SL,TL 100-125 engines states the following:Side Clearance 0-.01mm (0-.0004") Vertical clearance .1-.35mm (.004-.014").

Is this a misprint? Does side clearance mean between the rod and crank halves? Does Vertical clearance mean the diametral tolerance between the crank pin and rod? I would like to post a jpeg of the page from the manual to clarify my ramblings but have yet to figure out how.

Any insight is on the specs or posting an image is greatly appreciated.

Scooter

• 3 weeks later...

I know that this reply is a bit late maybe but I am in the middle of a rebuild. The clearence on the rod is between the crank halves and it is 4 thou but is still in servicable condition up to 20 thou so your 7 thou is very good. Mine is about 8 thou so more than happy. Just hope I've got all the bits of the oil pump out of the bearing after it went into a million bits and spread itself throughout the bottom end ! Deep joy

Oh well I had nothing better to do with my summer nights than spend them in the workshop.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll proced with my rebuild.

There was no cam rattle, it and the journals in the head are perfect. The loss of this engine was from PO never adjusting the cam chain and cutting through the cam chain tunnel in the cylinder.

My project is moving slowly as well due to the summer weather. I've been out doing other things.