Which Twinshock Trials?

steve

I haven't riden a trial for nearly 10 years now so I'm a little out of touch with it all. Which championship would be the best for me to ride on my Montesa Cota 330 (1985).

According to the acu web site there appears to be 2 which I could enter. Sammy Miller and Acu Traditional?? Do any these Trials involve road work? Which would be the best for me and the 330?

I presume I still need to join a local club (will join Nene Valley anyway) but do I need an ACU licenece - when I started in 1988 you needed one, they then abolished it. Is that still the case?

Other than the national champs are there any good events in the Midlands for Twinshock?

Thanks,

Steve

check out www.estc.co.uk club that runs 4 routes with T/S riders on Yellow and Green so you are sure to find something. They have a 2 day this weekend at the ground they own (practice memberships available which allows you full access) and they should be less than an hour from you wherever you are in Northamptonshire (we are in the N/W corner)

Woody, Thank you very much for such a fast a comprehensive reply.

It sounds like the Traditional series would be the better challenge for me to try, the only problem being the road work involved. (MOT, tax, insurance etc...) There was a time when I used to make up a number plate and stick the tax disc off the car on! Scrutineers used to turn a bit of a blind eye to that years ago. I remember one trial where word got back that police were doing stop checks up the road. Half the entry were looking for an alternatice route through the woods!!

I wonder just how good I'll be after a 10 year lay off! In my head it seems like only yesterday but my body has suffered considerable wear and tear in those 10 years - especially my back.

I see my local club - Nene Valley have a 50/50 route (new to me) which might be possible on the Mont. The next Trial is July 6th so that could be my first ride out. I doubt if I'll get a chance to practice before hand and the bike is far from fully sorted so it could be interesting.

gkp413 - I know of the Earl Shilton club and have ridden there a few times years ago. Shame I wasn't ready for the 2 day trial this weekend, mind you, I am not sure I could ride 2 consecutive days at the moment.

Scrutineering, rarely done these days for reasons of liability, no longer includes the 'road legal' check, it's riders responsibility, so you still find one or two people hiding from time to time....

Guest THEDavidBaker

Hello Steve

Glendon Quarry, Cranford Firs 50/50. Perfect !

50/50 is 50% Easy, 50% Hard - easy as that !

Once you have done your first trial it will be just like you haven't been away. Trust me I'm a doctor !!

As for being old with a bad back I am now 58 with a number of medical conditions, including a bad back - can only walk very short distances - but am riding as well as ever.

Tip - not too much practising or you will wear yourself out.

The biggest single thing is to make sure your bike is running right

Say hello to the boys and girls at Nene Valley for me.

David

Hi David,

I have seen Howard in the results on the NVMCC web site but I didn't see your name. Do you still live local? (come on the Diamonds!!)

I know you used to prefer the Derbyshire trials - last time I saw you was probably at a YMSA Trial about 12 years ago!

What class would I ride in? Inter, CLubman, Novice? or do they have a twinshock? - might get an award if I'm the only one in the class!! Another year and I can do the over 40!!

Guest THEDavidBaker

Hello Steve

It has been 15 years since I last lived locally or did a local trial. For my sins I now live in Scotland.

I have lived here for 6 years and previous to that I lived in Cambridgeshire where we had a small holding.

I last saw your father at Kinlochleven in 2002 which was the year I won the Scottish Over 40 Championship (I also won in 2003)

I then became quite ill and didn't ride again until 2007.

Glad to hear Howard is still riding.

Regards David