Clutch Knock.

gaff

Just bought myself an 03 Montesa, and i have noticed if i work the clutch lever when the bike is not running, there is a knock from the engine, but this soon goes once the engine has been warmed-up, and the clutch is nice and smooth.

I never had this on my 2000, or known of it on any of my mates Montesa', any ideas, do you think it is any thing to worry about.

Cheers.

Gaff.

Gaff: This may be caused by grooves worn in the clutch basket where the plate fingers ride or also grooves worn in the center clutch hub splines from the inner plates chattering against the hub. This is one possible explanation, although I believe the clutch release would be poor if it were worn this badly. It's more likely the piston for the slave cyl. has a grabbiness to the o ring seal which goes away when hot. I'd try lubing the clutch apply piston with brake assy lube or silicone grease. Of course this would involve bleeding the clutch from dry which can be a can of worms in itself. This topic has been discussed to death in the past. If it doesn't bother you, just put up with it. It doesn't sound serious.

my beta use to make clonking noises from the clutch when cold it was because the fingers on the clutch basket where badly scored from the previous owner holding ot WOF and dumping the clutch i had to take it out and smooth it out with a file and wet and dry paper no clonks now

Cheers JayLael and BetaBoy, i meant to say that the noise seems to come from within the left hand casing, but once warmed up works fine.

Would it cause much damage eventually if i were to keep using the bike like this ???

Thanks again.

Gaff.

O.K., the clutch slave cyl is on the left hand side. The piston could be sticking in the bore. I'd clean the bore with a bit of fine sandpaper and lube it with brake caliper assy lube. Then bleed with vacum source. Running it will probably be o.k. but why not try to fix it? Just my thoughts although as a good friend of mine has said to me many times, "You're gonna' do what you wanta' do anyhow."