250 Pro 2006 - Disconnected Black Wire

richard400

Hi

Having inspected the wiring on a 2006 250 I have recently bought, I have found a black cable connected at one end to the earthing point (regulator mounting bolt) but the other end is diconnected. The bike has Ducati electrics.

I have tried to reconcile this with the Ducati wiring diagram (taken from www.trialspartsusa.com/tech.html) but as there are a few more wires on the bike than the diagram this is proving of limited value.

There are 6 black wires running from the earthing point.

1 to the thermostat

1 to the CDI

2 to the regulator

1 to the stator

and the 1 to nowhere

The rogue wire is about 8 inches long, is thin and has been stripped at the loose end suggesting it was once connected to something. I cannot see where that was or even might have been. It maybe part of the lighting circuit which has been removed.

Does anyone have any ideas or would be willing to look at their bike for a comparison.

Thanks

Richard

The wire has probably been fitted to allow you to connect it to the fan in an emergency to turn the fan on permanently should the thermostat fail. We have one fitted on our 07 Pro just in case but as yet not needed to use it.

Red Van Man

Coincidentally it was the fan not working that started this whole investigation.

The thermostat is ok (and has now been bypased anyway) and the fan motor is also OK. Having spoken with Gas Gas they think it's the regulator that is broken so I have ordered another at

on all our standard wiring there is always a loose white wire which is to wire the fan on permenatly. think the black on is standard. when our fans break down we wire the spare white tp the earth cable so maybe if theres a white to earth swap it with black

Before you hook it up to anything put a meter on it to check to see if there is any voltage on this wire, if so cap it and leave it alone. If you had a live wire shorting out that could burn up alot of things.