Jtr 370 Won't Start

mattsgasgas

My lads just bought a jtr370 which started 1st time when we looked at it but now wont start at all. Changed spark plug - there's a spark there. Plugs not soaking but is damp. Next thing I was going to look at was the points (if anyone remembers them nowadays). Does anyone know if they have points and if so, what the gap should be? Can anyone give me any links to jtr370 information there doesn't seem to be anything about? Thanks for any help.

My lads just bought a jtr370 which started 1st time when we looked at it but now wont start at all. Changed spark plug - there's a spark there. Plugs not soaking but is damp. Next thing I was going to look at was the points (if anyone remembers them nowadays). Does anyone know if they have points and if so, what the gap should be? Can anyone give me any links to jtr370 information there doesn't seem to be anything about? Thanks for any help.

My last bike was a 1996 JTR370 (it's actually a 338cc engine, despite the "370cc" cast in the cylinder base). Your son's bike has the Ducati ignition and no points to re-set. Make sure you have fresh premix in both the carb and tank. If it's been stored for any length of time, the high-end aromatics boil out of the vent and they aid starting. Use the "choke" lever at the top of the carb (straight up is on) and do not touch the throttle when kicking it over. Use body weight rather than leg muscle, this is a high-compression monster and just jabbing at it with your boot will only make it mad.

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/tech.html is a website with a lot of good info on it. You can use the 2001 parts manual as it is essentially the same basic engine.

Jon

Hi matt,

If the plug is sparking, and it is getting damp from fuel, and the motor was working previously, it is likely that the flywheel key may have sheared. It's worth a look though you'll need an extractor to break the taper on the flywheel.

Bye, PeterB.

I noticed Ducati stamped on the flywheel whilst I was looking round and you're probably right about the fuel. I'll drain the tank and carb and put fresh in. Your right about the choke and thanks for tip the not touching the throttle - we've always tried revving at the same time as kicking. I suspect the flywheel woodruffe key sheared is going too deep at this stage. Thanks loads for your help, Matt.