Any Experience Of S3 Pipes On 250

5again

I just bought a used 'long' S3 pipe from ebay, and credit to the seller it was in undamaged condition exactly as described. However I can't help but feel it has made the power of my 07 250 PRO a little 'flat' - I didn't make any other alterations. Curious to know if anybody else has any experience of these ?

The short pipe works best on the 250 if you want snappy power. Try out the long pipe with the ign in the sunny setting (guess you have done that already) - You can always advance the timing a bit with the long pipe on - or even put the old one back on!

Bye, PeterB.

The s3 pipe alters the sound from the standard pipe, are you sure it made the bike flatter and not just that it sounds like it?

Good point. Altered noise level is often mistaken for power delievery characteristics (just ask a Harley guy).

Head pipe changes often require jetting changes to achieve peak performance. A longer head pipe, in comparison to the one it replaces, creates longer wavelength pulses which tend to shift power output lower in the RPM range (all other things being equal). You might try a needle height adjustment to start with (always start rich and then try lower) as the pipe usually will affect the area monitored by the needle profile the most.

Jon

Thanks all, must admit I didn't try running with the 'sunshine' setting as the switch is removed, and top end is what I thought was missing with the new pipe.

It may well be the sound it makes is misleading. Also the only time I've run with the new pipe was on extremely dry and steep going that I wasn't used to.

I think I will refit the standard pipe and try and do a more objective back to back with the pipes at a practise session. Must admit though, do think the titanium pipe looks (and sounds) the part !

cheers

Thanks all, must admit I didn't try running with the 'sunshine' setting as the switch is removed, and top end is what I thought was missing with the new pipe.

It may well be the sound it makes is misleading. Also the only time I've run with the new pipe was on extremely dry and steep going that I wasn't used to.

I think I will refit the standard pipe and try and do a more objective back to back with the pipes at a practise session. Must admit though, do think the titanium pipe looks (and sounds) the part !

cheers

I'm not sure how the 250's are set up but from what I understand, the switch is essentially an on/off switch to toggle the CDI maps. The larger 05' models came with the two-mapping system but no switch here in the States. There were two wires under the front of the fuel tank (orange/black) and you could plug/unplug them to get the two maps. It was easy to add the 06' switch by just plugging it into the wires and mount it on the bars.

You should expect a slight decrease in top end with the longer pipe but you should also see an increase in torque in the lower RPMs. Torque does the work and once you adapt to the change, the bike should be, in most cases, easier to ride.

Jon