What Oil Is Best For Air Filters

geordabroad

Hello

I live in China and am just about to assemble my GasGas TXT Pro 300. I'm new to trials bikes and I've just bought the GasGas and shipped it out here from the UK.

I don't have any air filter oil and I wondered what you would recommend. Would something like WD40 do the job?

Clueless in Beijing :wall:

Edited by geordabroad

Hello

I live in China and am just about to assemble my GasGas TXT Pro 300. I'm new to trials bikes and I've just bought the GasGas and shipped it out here from the UK.

I don't have any air filter oil and I wondered what you would recommend. Would something like WD40 do the job?

Clueless in Beijing :wall:

No. WD40 is not sticky enough to trap the dust particles, and will dry out quickly. There are oils made especially for the foam type air filters commonly used in off-road vehicles and you should be able to import some of this oil from wherever you bought your Gas Gas or a local motorcycle shop in China. It is just called "filter oil for foam air filters" and there are many brands.

If you can't wait to ride your bike till you get proper air filter oil, use the same oil that you are going to use to mix with the petrol to make your fuel. It will slowly move out of the foam by gravity but if you reoil the filter frequently it works OK.

For whatever oil you use, make sure all the foam is coated with oil and that you have squeezed all the free oil from the filter before you install it.

Foam not fully coated = dust gets in engine = motor wrecked

Too much oil = carburettor affected by oil flowing down from filter

geordabroad Posted Yesterday, 04:30 AM

Hello

Clueless in Beijing smile.gif

So is trials popular over on China or is it just beginning to be noticed?