I Fancy Having A Go

thespikeyone

Hello folks,

I Fancy having ago at enduro on my trials bike and have a few questions, I was wondering if anyone knows of any events coming up in/near lincolnshire? Do they have a class for trials bikes? Will I be able to ride with my acu trials registration or will I need to get another liscence?

Also any tips on modding the bike? I think I will put a 14t front sprocket on it. but will I need anything else?

Any info is welcome

Cheers

Spike

• 2 weeks later...
Im sorry to say but if it is a proper timecard enduro u will not be allowed to ride with the bike as it does not fit regulations so will not get through scrutineering, unless there is a class for trials although this is very unlikely and i have never heard of it.

A trials bike is not suited to enduros tho. The engine does not rev hard enough and the suspension is not suitable for taking bumps at high speeds.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Hare and Hounds type race, do they still have the same scrutineering for them???

It was more for a bit of fun than actually competing.

• 1 month later...
Hello folks,

I Fancy having ago at enduro on my trials bike and have a few questions, I was wondering if anyone knows of any events coming up in/near lincolnshire? Do they have a class for trials bikes? Will I be able to ride with my acu trials registration or will I need to get another liscence?

Also any tips on modding the bike? I think I will put a 14t front sprocket on it. but will I need anything else?

Any info is welcome

Cheers

Spike

If you fancy a good ride round get a Scott entry in!

• 1 month later...

generally you don't see trials bike in enduro or H&H (unless its some think very hard, like the WOR's "tough one"). that said no reason not to, i do CofC / Marshal on my trials bike rather than enduro bike.

for a start depending upon lap length fuel is going to be a real issue, that and your going to knacker yourself standing up all the time......

Down here in the westcountry we have some really good two hour timetrials set out with the enduro boys in mind,they are the ideal introduction and you can use your trials reg

A good freind of mine used a 315 monty in a couple of enduros, he fitted knobblies and raised the front guard then cable tied a spare inner tube on the rear guard as a seat,

it looked like a old greeves challanger.

by the way he won the clubman class every event he entered

If you fancy a good ride round get a Scott entry in!

I have just returned from honeymoon where I spent an entire 2 weeks horizontal therefore I am no where near the required fitness level for such an event.....

Maybe next year :huh:

how much is an entry just out of interest???

I've run some here in the States,no changes except to add an aux. fuel tank to the front forks. I only run the more technical ones, ie. slower speeds. The hardest part ,if you want to be competitive, will be riding hard standing up VS. the horizontal ride, :huh: for over 2 hrs.

"I have just returned from honeymoon where I spent an entire 2 weeks horizontal therefore I am no where near the required fitness level for such an event....."

Still a little weak in the knees :P you'll need them strong for a HS race.

iv seen a few trials bikes at enduros. i think what the more serious ones do is change the gearing on them for wider ratios. so they can get more flat out speed. as far as other mods go, id sugest a larger tank and move the gear lever closer to your foot so you can sawp cogs quicker.

the thing to bear in mind though is that you will be stood up constantly there are parts in some courses where you need to sit down and go motorcross style to be quick. trials bikes are not as stable at speed than enduro bikes as well so thats another disadvantage.

but if your serious about enduros or fancy an enduro style event then do the scott or get an enduro bike

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 months later...

Hi Spikey, I ride trials and enduro, but use a husky 250 for enduros. There nothing to say you cant ride a trials bike in any UK enduro provided its safe to pass scrutineering and road legal if need be. MX bikes dont pass scrutineering sometimes for being too loud. BUT trials bikes are very handy for doing enduros and often wish I was on my beta when I get stuck.

Heres the REAL truth theres no such thing really as an enduro bike, we end up using what are basically MX bikes with lights on because thats what the manufactures make because its much more profitable for them to do that. A proper enduro bike would be somewhere inbetween 'enduro' and trials, but the size of the market doesn't make it add up.

But we all rush out and buy these 'enduro' bikes because we think thats what we need, they look sexy, we think we can handle it but most of us struggle when the going gets tough, where a trials bike would p*** it.

Heres a true story for you all................ my mate plays rugby and he is a well 'hard case' in man terms. he goes out buys a gas gas enduro and confidently enters his first event. He lasted about 12 miles, about 3/4 of a lap, came home and promised never to do an enduro again! ! !

Maybe if the bike was easier to live with he may have continued.

The thing that really screws enduro bikes is the seat height. Most guys that ride enduro bikes probably dont realise what a pain this is as they dont know any different. Granted if you are **** hot its not a problem, but most aren't.

But spikey your biggest problem with a trials bike is ground clearance. if the event you enter has ruts they are likely to be alot deeper than a trials can handle. your bike will end up resting on its pegs with the back wheel spinning around. Have Fun! ! !

PS Get husky 250 2 stroke................totally wicked.

Peter Houghton. Lancashire, England. ( land of proper enduros and trials )

PPS your ACU trials registration will not cover you for enduro / MX or in fact any other event than trials. So that will be another

Wanariot,

Just two little points

Firstly as i said a couple of months ago you can do time trials on your trials ACU registration card.(really good fun and only two hours long )

Secondly WHERE IS LANCASHIRE. its in yorkshire isnt it, ;)