Boyesen Reeds, Worthwhile?

kimpybugalugs

On 2/14/2019 at 9:36 AM, feetupfun said:

When I bought Boyesen reeds for TY175s and TY250s in the 2000s, the instructions said to fit them without the Yamaha limit plates. Are you saying that at some point in time, the limit plates were intended to be retained when you fitted Boyesen reeds?

Current instructions for Boyesen reeds (2018) for ty Yamahas mention opening up the windows if you wish - normal Boyesen procedure (4 to 2 window?) and leaving the stop plates in situ.

• 1 month later...

Yep they have an effect to the bike makes it a bit snappier, most effect you will get by using carbon fiber ones, be aware of replicas sold one E-bay for cheap not made by Boysen of bad qzulaity (I suggest not to use them). THe backdraw is price and they do wear not fast but after 500km on the speedometer mine had a bit fuzzy ends when looked ap through mangnifying glases.

What is also a good idea to improve performance and so have more effect then the Boyesen:

- using the cage and reeds of the TY250, (a bit of miiing is needed)

- using the rubber inlet of teh RD 250,

• 4 months later...

I've just done the opening up of a TY175 intake to take the original reed block out of my TY250, took a while with a dremel but less metal needed to come out than was needed to get the v-force reed block into the 250

What number reeds fit TY250 twinshocks? Boyesen's website show quite different numbers for 74 & 75 which is incorrect as they should be the same part, I suspect what they have for 75 is actually the mono but I can't confirm that 

On 2/16/2019 at 10:29 PM, thai-ty said:

Current instructions for Boyesen reeds (2018) for ty Yamahas mention opening up the windows if you wish - normal Boyesen procedure (4 to 2 window?) and leaving the stop plates in situ.

Correction the above was for a mono, not a twinshock, if i was confusing anybody.

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2019 at 5:22 PM, tony27 said:

I've just done the opening up of a TY175 intake to take the original reed block out of my TY250, took a while with a dremel but less metal needed to come out than was needed to get the v-force reed block into the 250

What number reeds fit TY250 twinshocks? Boyesen's website show quite different numbers for 74 & 75 which is incorrect as they should be the same part, I suspect what they have for 75 is actually the mono but I can't confirm that 

Tony- did you get an answer on your question about the Boyesen reed part number?  I am thinking of getting a set of Boyesen reeds for my TY 250 A and hoping it gives a performance increase, but the distributors do not seem to have a particular p/n that is a direct replacement for the OEM stock Yamaha reeds.   They mention 3 different models and say they "might work"

Can't remember what the number ended up being but they're on the the reed block in the 175 now. The 6TR108 look more correct, seem to come up as fitting Fantic on Italian sites