Gas Gas 'Pro' Development Vid

atomant

I never see the old 02 bikes anymore, anyone? :banana2:

I have an 02' 280. My favorite bike, still runs like a champ, even though the poor thing has been a trusty test mule for a lot of my crazy theories and modifications.

The GasGasINFO videos are pretty neat, a few I haven't ever seen. The guy in the shop videos is Jim Snell, who is the parts importer for GasGas here in the U.S., and has probably forgot more about GasGas Trials bikes than I will ever be able to remember. He's helped me out a lot when I run into an unusual problem.

Jon

I have an 02' 280. My favorite bike, still runs like a champ, even though the poor thing has been a trusty test mule for a lot of my crazy theories and modifications.

The GasGasINFO videos are pretty neat, a few I haven't ever seen. The guy in the shop videos is Jim Snell, who is the parts importer for GasGas here in the U.S., and has probably forgot more about GasGas Trials bikes than I will ever be able to remember. He's helped me out a lot when I run into an unusual problem.

Jon

I have had two 02`s. One 125 that was sold august last year and a 200 that still is in my garage - at least parts of it. The rest of the parts are "spread for all winds"...

I notice that your bike Jon has got a different frame and airbox than my two 02`s. Have You change those, or did GasGas change this during the year?

-Jan

30062007283.jpg

I have had two 02`s. One 125 that was sold august last year and a 200 that still is in my garage - at least parts of it. The rest of the parts are "spread for all winds"...

I notice that your bike Jon has got a different frame and airbox than my two 02`s. Have You change those, or did GasGas change this during the year?

-Jan

Mine is a 280, so I'm not sure if the frames are just slightly different in the smaller displacement models. The frame is standard but the complete airbox is a modified later model with 02' graphics.

Jon

Mine is a 280, so I'm not sure if the frames are just slightly different in the smaller displacement models. The frame is standard but the complete airbox is a modified later model with 02' graphics.

Jon

Surprisingly You are right. They didn`t use the same frame on 125/200 and 250/280. Check this Swedish site: http://www.fmcp.e.se/historik/index.htm

It is not easy to see this because of the plastic cover, but the construction near the head is diferent.

An other difference from 02 and the newer ones is the oil capacity. The 02`s take about 0,3 liter when the newer ones take about 0,5 liters. Did they change this because of bad lubrication or maybe cooling?

-Jan

Surprisingly You are right. They didn`t use the same frame on 125/200 and 250/280. Check this Swedish site: http://www.fmcp.e.se/historik/index.htm

It is not easy to see this because of the plastic cover, but the construction near the head is diferent.

An other difference from 02 and the newer ones is the oil capacity. The 02`s take about 0,3 liter when the newer ones take about 0,5 liters. Did they change this because of bad lubrication or maybe cooling?

-Jan

I don't remember seeing an 02" 125 at the time, but they do appear to be a little different by sight. I checked my 02' engine parts manual and there is only one crankcase assembly listed (125 to 280, so the engine mounts are the same) and although I don't have a chassis parts manual for the 02' Pro, the 03' chassis parts manual lists the frame (#BT280310000) for all the models, 125 on up. The curious thing is the chassis manual lists the same frame for 2002 and 2003 both, the "2003" is on the Spanish and the "2002" is the English translation. I've been told on very good authority that the 02' frame is different and handles a little quicker, but I don't know that for a fact. Guess I'll have to add this to the ever-increasing list of things I don't quite understand.....:D

The oil capacity of the Pro 250-280-300 changing through the years is still somewhat of a mystery to me too. My 02' takes 350cc's to fill to the center of the sight glass. The 02' engine and clutchcover is Magnesium and the later ones (except for the Raga) are aluminum and the sealing system for the "top hat" servo cylinder post is 2 o-rings for the 02' and a seal and o-ring for most of the later. There are ribs cast on the inside of the clutch cover on the 03' on up and the 02' is smooth inside. I haven't taken the time to really compare the sidecovers to see if the 03's on up (compared to the 02') are wider for more volume or just that the sight glass has been re-located higher and they just run more oil in the case now.

I like to run closer to 370+cc's than 350cc's now, 350 just doesnt look like enough to make me comfortable for some reason. I've never had any lubrication problems or oil out the vent hose, though.

Jon

Hi Jan and Jon,

The 2002 PRO 200/125's had a different airbox unit to the bigger bikes, it looked like it was from the 2001 model and wasn't a brilliant looking thing to do. Apart from that, the frame should be the same as the 250/280.

02 PRO's had 350ml capacity in the gearbox, with a flexing clutch cover, part of the problem with the dragging PRO clutches from then. The 03 onwards cover was webbed internally to prevent flexing. The 02 crankases were redesigned for 03 onwards to provide greater strength for the bottom motor mount and relocated the bottom 5mm pinch bolt, that is why there are 2 different crank gaskets in the PRO gasket set, one for the 02 and one for everything else. I think at this time the gearbox oil capacity was increased to 450 to 500ml. Like you Jon, I also prefer to run with as much oil as possible. At 500ml, I still don't get any out from the breather. A bit old fashioned there.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Jan and Jon,

The 2002 PRO 200/125's had a different airbox unit to the bigger bikes, it looked like it was from the 2001 model and wasn't a brilliant looking thing to do. Apart from that, the frame should be the same as the 250/280.

02 PRO's had 350ml capacity in the gearbox, with a flexing clutch cover, part of the problem with the dragging PRO clutches from then. The 03 onwards cover was webbed internally to prevent flexing. The 02 crankases were redesigned for 03 onwards to provide greater strength for the bottom motor mount and relocated the bottom 5mm pinch bolt, that is why there are 2 different crank gaskets in the PRO gasket set, one for the 02 and one for everything else. I think at this time the gearbox oil capacity was increased to 450 to 500ml. Like you Jon, I also prefer to run with as much oil as possible. At 500ml, I still don't get any out from the breather. A bit old fashioned there.

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks, Peter.

That makes sense to me and I did notice the two case gaskets in the complete Pro gasket set like you describe.

Cheers.

Jon