06 Pro Clutch - Again

jandyb

Hello

My sons 2006 125 pro racing has always had a perfect clutch. Light pull and with a smooth but precise action. Perfect!

Yesterday at training the pull had become very hard. What can be the reason for this?

Some facts: About five weeks ago the bike was drowned and there was a lot of water in the gearbox. Oil was changed as soon as possible about one hour later. Have been just fine after that.

Have loosened the clutch lever so that the release valve is working. No effect.

My son almost started crying when this happned. There is an important competition saturday coming.

Thanks for any help!

-Jan

Hi Jan,

I'd be almost 100% sure that the water has already reacted with the clutch fibre plates and caused them to swell, lowering the mechanical advantage of the 10 clutch lever fingers. To get it ok for the weekend check the finger height, 17.5mm from memory, if lower then the pack has swelled and new plates should be used, but.... you can always carefully rub the thickness down of the fibres on a plate glass with emery paper on top. Pack height should be 9.75mm or less.

Good luck, PeterB.

Hi Jan,

I'd be almost 100% sure that the water has already reacted with the clutch fibre plates and caused them to swell, lowering the mechanical advantage of the 10 clutch lever fingers. To get it ok for the weekend check the finger height, 17.5mm from memory, if lower then the pack has swelled and new plates should be used, but.... you can always carefully rub the thickness down of the fibres on a plate glass with emery paper on top. Pack height should be 9.75mm or less.

Good luck, PeterB.

Thanks Peter... or not :crying:

You are probably right. I was hoping there was an other easyer/cheaper explanation that I had overlooked.

I hate to do stunts like this the day before a happening, but I guess I have to. He is almost refusing to go if I don`t fix it. Of course for a 13 year old lad it is very difficult to suddenly adjust to a bike with a completly different behaviour like this is.. :thumbup:

-Jan... Out in the garage...

Edited by JanDyb

Thanks Ed. I guess that helped me! :thumbup:

But it`s too late totake pictures. Funny enough I thought about it when I worked that I should have taken some pictures... but I didn`t. This isn`t wery difficult anyway so dont be afraid to get to it. Lots of other posts on this forum that describes the prosedure also.

The finger height was not very low. I measured about 16,5 mm. That is about 0,05 mm too thick clutch pack. But I did take it a part anyway and rubbed the fibres carefully with 600 paper on a glass table. And it worked! After reassemble the finger height was encreased to about 18mm.

Guess if my kid was pleased when the light pull was back??! :crying:

As this is the first time into the 06 engine I noticed a difference from the other pro`s i have been into. First the steel plates was thicker - about 2 mm. The others were about 1,5mm - and there was two thin fibre plates and one thicker. I remember reading somewhere that the thickest fibre plate should go in first. Did that and it worked fine.

Another thing I was a bit concerned about was that it came some water out of the water pump when taking it out. Is this normal? Didn`t seem to leak when I inspected it.

-Jan