Replacing Piston And Rings/ Checking Barrel

geordabroad

Hello

I recently had a stuck carb on my recently purchased 2006 TXT300. The engine revved at maximum for around 10 seconds. Even with the carb working OK, and me still being able to kick the engine over it won't start. Chatting to a mate we presume the piston has been nipped or the rings have seized and this means there is not enough compression.

I'm going to inspect but I think I'll probably buy a new piston and rings and check the cylinder to make sure it's not scored.

The problem I have is that I only have a shared basement garage in which I can do this... not the best place. Can anyone tell me the minimum I need to do to get the piston out? (i.e. can I take the piston off with only removing the cylinder head or do I need to remove the cylinder as well?) and whether I need to order new gaskets ('o' ring internal and external - is what it says in the manual) etc?

Do I face any other difficulties or is it fairly straightforward on a GasGas (I've done it on other 4 stroke trail bikes).

Cheers

Geordabroad

Maybe worth checking for compression, otherwise unfortunately I think you will have to remove the cylinder, and replace both o'rings and the base gasket, however its pretty straightforward:

Remove the tank, exhaust front pipe, rad cap, plug

Drain coolant, remove the lower clips on the two hoses on the impeller cover, then remove all the hoses, perhaps label them with some tape to remember where they come from, which end is which.

Remove the screws in the frame that hold the rad in place, and any rad trim, then you can wiggle it on the metal locating dowels when removing the barrel.

Take off the cylinder head. (can inspect cylinder condition now)

Take off cylinder, may need to wiggle or displace the rad to get enough clearance, will defo need to when putting it back on.

Remove one gudgeon pin clip, drive it out firmly from the other side.

I think thats it !

New pistons have an arrow indicating the exhaust port.

Hopefully damage is not too bad, enjoy the Olympics whilst waiting for any parts !

Thanks for the detailed reply, it's really useful. One quick question, How can i check for engine compression?

and yes, I am enjoying the Olympics thanks. Quite apart from the now glorious unpolluted weather I'm off to watch athletics this evening after watching the British dominate the cycling on Saturday night. Fantastic :rotfl:

Geordabroad

You're welcome, just did it, so its still fresh !

To measure compression you need a special tool that goes in the plug hole (obviously need to make sure its compatible with the GG plug size) - can't remember typical healthy compression, 100-120 lbs I recall, worth calling GG UK, who advertise on TC. (always recommended)

We're hoping team GB can maintain their lofty position in the medals, though maybe tough to stay there for the rest of the week. Funny thing, somebody told me the US media is showing a different medal table, based on total medals, in which US is tops !