2009 Gas Gas

jsp

as a gas gas virgin can anyone give me any tips to trouble free riding

ie

anything i need to do from new

what oils to use both in the gearbox and in the petrol

could i use elf htx740 in the gearbox as i have some left from my 4rt

jsp

I've just bought a gasser too Jeff (decided against the Mont for now)- where did you find that Raga -I thought they'd all gone? Last time I had one was 2005 but I remember it wasn't very robust (although that may have been due to me throwing it off things a lot.....no change there then !). Otherwise was very reliable. Seem to remember wheel bearings didn't last long but nothing major.Definitely needs a bit more regular maintenance than the Mont to keep it tip top. The only other thing you'll need for a 300 Raga is a pair of really big arms--by all reports

they are rather torquey!

Would have liked come to Tong but can't today - let me know next time you're out there though.

Cheers

Jim

Hi jsp,

You can only use a mineral oil in the gearbox, 10 weight or an ATF rated to Dexron III.

I spend ages on a new bike, carefully prise off the seals from the wheel bearings and pack out with water proof grease then re-fit the seal covers, drop out the triple clamps and grease the taper head stock bearings, strip out the entire linkage and re-grease, check the bottom gearbox mounting bolt (10mm dia) slides out easy, sometimes they are forced in stressing the motor mounts. If not a sliding fit, drill out the engine mount through the frame with a 10mm dia drill bit. Go over the air box to seat unit connection with a good silicone sealant. Biff the awful 8mm head bolts from the fork leg bottom spindle clamps and fit allen head bolts with grease, use a very close fitting 8mm 6 point socket to remove. Run in for 8 hours. Is it a Raga or std, what size motor?That'll do for a start, time to go.

Bye, Peter.