4 Stroke Pro,why Has It All Gone Quiet?

benz19

In an interveiw in a french mag the factory said late 2009 early 2010. Apparently they are having problems with the combustion chamber.

The guy said that it was as good as the montesa already, but they wanted it to be better, and hinted that the side valve engine is not 100 per cent certain to be used if they are not happy with it.

In an interveiw in a french mag the factory said late 2009 early 2010. Apparently they are having problems with the combustion chamber.

The guy said that it was as good as the montesa already, but they wanted it to be better, and hinted that the side valve engine is not 100 per cent certain to be used if they are not happy with it.

As I understand it, rumor is that there will be about 20 prototypes distributed around January for evaluation and testing (if you REALLY want to test a child-proof cap, ya gotta give it to the kids to play with :thumbup: ) which is when it should possibly show up across the pond. Don't know for a fact, just heard some talk.

Sparkplug type and placement on a sidevalve (or number of plugs, from my experience) is critical on a sidevalve due to the constraints of chamber design. There are a lot of ways to tweek the chamber, including pop-up pistons with a slope on the valve side, recessing the valve seats to lower the ceiling of the head etc. I'm sure they are trying a number of things to see what works best as it is a totally new design and there are, essentially, no similar engines out there to extrapolate data from, like the OHC/DOHC designs. Luckily, the chassis appears to be the same as the 2T (even the engine mounts look awfully alike) so the frame is undergoing field testing now.

Jon