Train Spotting!

copemech

a nuclear powered sub's (SSN, SSB, or even SSGN) is limited mainly by crew endurance (ie food!). gaps between refuelling is like decades (they do US aircraft carriers once in the ships 30-40 year lifetime)

conventional subs (SSK's) have snorkels and even now "air independent" propulsion for the diesel-electrics engines. i think the aussie's Collin's class are some of the biggest non nuclear subs allowing them to almost compete with the nuclear subs.

Cope,

I went on a job interview in Bay Minette which is just across Moblie Bay a few years back. I was lucky enough to tour the ship when they were having a reunion. My wife and I tagged along with 5 guys who served on her during the war. It was an amazing time. I marveled at the bearings holding up the gun turrets. I don't think that there is a machine shop in the US now days with a mill that could machine the races.

DFW

You see, DF and I are easily entertained, as there will probably be nothing like it, ever again.

Rabie is correct, there is some neat stuff out there. With the new nuke subs, food is still a basic issue, when you have enough power to generate your own O2 out of seawater, it gives you some options. Most of this is still classified info. Yet logic tells that one could stay submerged for much longer if need be. Just look at your space station! :lol: