250 Minimum Age

fred_savage

Hi Fred - As the ACU handbook is the only book I've read (that's only just joking) I feel like I can answer.

At 16 years old you can enter adult trials and forget all about the Youth rules, so he can ride a 250 totally legally for instance.

What he won't be able to do is enter a youth class on the 250. If he enters a youth trial/class at age 16, the youth rules all apply including the cc limit.

I'm not just guessing at that, I know your bike purchase could be based on it, so I wouldn't even guess if I wasn't sure.

For example, he could legally enter our Adult Novice class on a GasGas 250 at age 16.

More than happy for people to add to this to give Fred a warm feeling :huh:

Hey Fred,

have you tried emailing your local club or centre?

I am in a similar situation to your son and was told I am not able to ride anything bigger than a 125 (in any class) until I turn sixteen by my clubs (berkhamsted mcc) secretary though this may be different in your centre.

Jack

Correct. John Collins confirmed this in a post last year (I'll see if I can find it when I have time) a 17 year old can ride as a Youth on a 125 until the last day of the year in which he is 17. However, a 16 year old can ride as an adult from his 16th birthday and therefore use any size machine.

But remember, everyone who is under 18 will need a completed parent or guardian form, irrespective of what class they ride in.

Hey Fred,

have you tried emailing your local club or centre?

It's me :huh: answer above I promise :P

I am in a similar situation to your son and was told I am not able to ride anything bigger than a 125 (in any class) until I turn sixteen by my clubs (berkhamsted mcc) secretary though this may be different in your centre.

Yep, they're dead right - up until 16 no flexibility, even if you're upgraded you still need to ride the bike applicable to your age.

Will be the same in all ACU centres, it's an ACU ruling.

Once he's 16, he can ride as an adult in an adult event, with their rules entirely.

The separate question about parental consent is an ongoing one which John's looking in to (John Collins). The ACU registration proports to be the parental consent for the year, but it's not absolutely clear.

Not a problem for Fred I know as he's just as keen to be out there anyway.

Edited by bikespace

it is age on the 1st january which dictates what happens that year in the youths.

That's a good point, but the 16 year old rule cuts in on his birthday, whenever it is.

For Fred, not a problem for next year as his lad's 16 now, but rule would still apply for the rest of this year (as he's past his 16th birthday).

The separate question about parental consent is an ongoing one which John's looking in to (John Collins). The ACU registration proports to be the parental consent for the year, but it's not absolutely clear.

Not a problem for Fred I know as he's just as keen to be out there anyway.

if the kid is under 18, then the parent/guardian needs to sign the kid's license form

if the kid is over 16 however, they don't need an adult to sign on next to them on the day :huh:

so you only need the parent to countersign for under 16's

clear as mud!

The replies being given are spot on ( must be more people reading this book than ever before!!)

I confirm what has already been said

Under 16 - A rider is Youth - and must ride the appropriate capacity machine - so 15 yr old will be on 125 etc

Over 16 - A rider can choose to ride as a Youth ( until 17th birthday) OR an Adult - till he's my age ( then he should know better!) - no really until any age

So between 16 and 17 he can actually choose - and can fluctuate back and forth if he wishes.

BUT - When he rides as a Youth - he must ride correct capacity for Youth - 125 in example given

When he rides as an Adult - he can ride adult capacity machines ie anything

Parental Agreement: I did look into this within a few days after an email from Bikespace - but rather foolishly sent my reply via a return to site email which I always cock up and have no way of knowing if they ever get there. I should have just posted on site - so I will now

The answer to the Parental Agreement and who must accompany a Youth to an event etc is all given ACU Licence/Registration form. ( page 6)

I will not copy it all out for you - but to summarise-

In each case the Parent/Legal Guardian will have signed tghe form to consent to the Minor taking part in motorcycle sport.

Then it states

Under 14 - Parent/legal Guardian must always be present when they compete

Aged 14 or 15 - A responsible adult ( who need not be parent/guardian) must be present when the youth competes.

Aged 16 or Over - There is no requirement for the minor to be accompanied

Over 16 - A rider can choose to ride as a Youth ( until 17th birthday) OR an Adult - till he's my age ( then he should know better!) - no really until any age

So between 16 and 17 he can actually choose - and can fluctuate back and forth if he wishes.

BUT - When he rides as a Youth - he must ride correct capacity for Youth - 125 in example given

When he rides as an Adult - he can ride adult capacity machines ie anything

Except (?) to be 100% clear if he is 16 on jan 1st (regardless of when his birthday is) then even when 17 (say jan 2nd) he can ride that year as a youth?

Yes

It is till the end of the calender year in which he reaches 17. Obviously with something like this we are looking at the extreme ends of situation - but it can of course happen.

If -the older ones amongst us actually think back to early school days - there always seemed to be someone in your class who had just scraped under some sort of age criteria and was always that much bigger etc - and always picked for the school Rugby team - and at other end of scenario - there would be somene who because of the age criteria just had to move up a class when all his friends etc stayed in a differnt one?