Gas Gas 280 Pro 2002 Funny Starter

thumperbob2002

Hi

I`ve just bought a 2002 gas gas 280 pro and it is a little weird to start

From cold I put the choke on full ( vertical )- 2 kicks and we are off! Idles straight from cold.

When it is warm ( fan already cut in ) I still need the choke to start it- 2 kicks and it starts.

The bike is in good condition though has not been used for 18 months

Will this be the old petrol / spark plug/ airbox?

Should I renew all these as a matter of course or use it first ( only started for 30 mins in my garage )

I have no manual or user docs- does anyone know here I could find one online.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Bob

I would:

strip the airbox off

wash, dry and oil the filter

clean the airbox

strip the carb and blow out all the jets

strip off the fuel inlet filter inside the banjo connector and clean that

drain the tank for good measure if it's been sat for 18 months

shove a new plug in just for good measure too

Once you've got that done, then get it back together and set the mixture screw. I do it by sound of the bike, but no doubt someone will give you an idea how many turns out it should be roughly.

If you've still got problems you may need to make sure nobody has messed about and changed jets at some point, and my eternal nightmare - float levels - go ask someone else for that - I'm hopeless :D

hi

sorted the bike today- took 5 mins to strip the bike- 2 hrs to put back.

refitting the carb was a nightmare until i got the hairdryer out to loosen the airbox side.

i put 50;1 in the bike- been told that this is fine though i have read on this forum that this should be 80;1- any ideas?

the bike seems to run great now and started without the choke- bit different to before thouhg the tank holding nut went awol- found it in the frame but I have no idea how I would get this back to where it was so it fitted with 2 cable ties.

cheers

bob

I would say it's going to be a bit coked up at 50:1, although I don't expect any harm from it. I know the old folks say a bit too much oil will keep it sweet, play it safe, but extra oil can also make it run hotter.

The average around here seems to be about 80:1 fully synthetic.

Not sure what you mean about the tank bolt, so I'll ignore that bit :D

Can't remember what the trick was with the Gasser airbox, but I'm thinking it was to position the carb in the airbox before you try to fit the carb back on to the inlet rubber - i.e. do the airbox side first. Worth a try. I normally get away with a hand fisted wiggle ;)

your problem comes if you get it wrong one week and it learns a new bent up shape :rotfl: I did it for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. Hairdryer then to get it back to original shape.

I just know that someone's going to ask why I've got a hairdryer :rotfl: I borrowed it.

Edited by bikespace

Not sure what you mean about the tank bolt, so I'll ignore that bit :D

I've lost the slide on tank bolt nut before as well. Lost in the frame/wiring somewhere... The good thing is the clip is cheap, or you can get a body panel clip from somewhere that will also work.