New Bike For Son

redandblue

Hello all:

I'm looking for a bike for my 10 year old son. I'm thinking about an 80cc 6 speed model with full sized wheels and would appreciate feedback regarding reliability, positives and negatives, height and weight of rider, etc. Thanks in advance for the help!

I think the GG80 is a really incredible bike.

I couldn't be more pleased with almost every aspect of ours.

What I see, though, with a lot of kids (mine included), is that they mostly drive the big bikes rather than ride them.

Kids are also more comfortable on something small that they really feel they have control over, and they can throw around.

It's a lot to ask, to expect a 70 lb kid to work with the same chassis as an adult.

I'd say that any bike that a kid takes more than a couple seconds to pick up off the ground is too big...unless the kid is just so good that anything but a full-sized bike would hold him back.

I know my kid is a pretty tentative rider, but I think that skipping the mid-size bike after the mini did him more harm than good.

Would you be inclined to add some more specifics?

Experience, size, weight, timid, aggressive it can really make a difference.

What type of bike you have plays a role, and what type of dealer support you will receive plays a roll.

Cost is usually a factor.

But in the end, the best I can suggest is to get the one your child wants and feels comfortable on. Get them on a variety of bikes and let them tell you what they like and dislike, I know from personal experience that what they look at is different from my views.

I have owned a Beta 50 auto, three Sherco 50's, a GG 80, 2 TY 80's and we are currently on a Sherco 80 and Sherco 125. I was also the STRA youth director for a bit so have had some exposure to most the bikes there for the Youth Market.

My son is possibly in the category that Charlie is referring too where he is somewhat too small for the bike, he is 8 and weighs 68.5 lbs. When he goes down, someone usually has to help him pick it back up, and he has the Auto start feature where someone walks over and automaticly starts his bike for him. But this is getting better, he was starting it himself today with someone holding him.

Could you fill in some of the blanks in your childs information, and maybe your location and we can link you with someone in your area?

Alan:

Was thinking when I posted that I should have put more info...

My son is 58" tall and weighs about 75 lbs. We mountain bike regularly on the trails on our property and he handles his bike well. We've started working on his bicycle trials skills this summer.

We have a small motocross track in the yard and he rides a Suzuki DRZ110 on it. Although he is fairly new to the 110 he is learning quickly and has what I would call a reasonable amount of skills.

He can sometimes kickstart the 110 to life on his own, it does have a reasonable amount of compression and a short kickstart lever which makes it difficult for kids to start. I think it weighs about 140 lbs (bit of a boat anchor, but a lot of fun none the less).

He is somewhat aggessive as a rider, not afraid to try things. He has grown considerably each of the last 2 winters and it looks like he'll copy my genetics (I'm 6'3").

Having been in the bicycle business I have seen lots of parents try to put their kids on too big a bike to save a few dollars and I'm trying to avoid that. However, I am on a limited budget and although I really like trials my schedule over the next year or so (grad school, work) is pretty hectic and I know we won't ride much. I'm thinking I might find something now that we won't use for awhile. Eventually I want to get back in to trials myself and hope to have my son to learn and compete at trials also.

We're about 45 minutes from Rising Sun Imports (GasGas)

Thanks for the input and help.

Sounds an awful lot like the Formula for a GG 80.

As Les Mizell who has had a number of them said to me, starting it is about like squishing ants.

Easy to start, light weight, large wheels and tires, well laid out, inexpensive, easy to repair and work on if needed and not intimidating. A very nice bike.

Downsides would be small gas tank, little low on power compared to some of the others in that class, and everything is tightly packed under the tank. Motor is a little revvy for trials but quite effective if used properly.

I like Sherco's myself, and would reccomend one highly if your son is comfortable riding one. Substantially more power than the GG 80/70 and they can be on it longer, but for my daughter it was more than she was comfortable on, so we spent a year on a GG 80 prior to moving up to the Sherco 125 when she was a better rider.

The Beta 80 is a sharp looking bike as well that I have next to nill experience with. I have only seen them at the Youth Nationals. Maybe someone here can add in comments about them.

If you get the urge to travel south to a STRA event we can probably put your son on a GG 80/70 a Sherco 80 midsize and a Sherco 125. I cannot stress enough how important that he be comfortable with it, thoughts of money and best value aside.

My 8yr old lad is at home on his Sherco 50, and the suspension is just working for him like it does for me on my full size bike, he looks in proportion on the little bike, but now we are doing some tougher trails like the 03 Oregon national loop, the little wheels and tires are letting him down.

I looked at a 2000 model Beta 50! the spacing on the back wheel looks the same, but with a heavier rim and tire, has anyone tried putting a wheel like this in a Sherco 50 ?

We are now at the same point! move up to an 80 and let him struggle on a bike that is too big for him, or try mod his 50 has it's just the right size.

:D As far as the Beta 80 goes ..It has the most torque not mx power but Trials Power.. The ONLY mid sized frame not a full size frame .. it works excellent and is darn near bullet proof.. It also has a no linkage suspention for ease of maintainence no bearings to have to change after sonny rides through the muck .It also has the full size tires so you can put the best tires on it... Really all you need to do is look at the results of the Youth Nationals in Tennessee . We offer basically the best parts service and availability .. best of luck on your decision .. Let me know if we can help you out ....

Ron Commo Jr

Beta USA