400/19 Trials Tyre

gazer

Does any one know if you can still get good 400/19 trials tyres, i had a new dunlop tyre come yesterday and quality is CRAP so it going back, i think i will be better of to rebuild the wheel to 400 /18.

cheers Gary

Edited by gazer

There are still Dunlop Trials Universals available in 4.00 X 19 size, however they are not good for competition use, I have them for the bikes for show only, especially the ex-works Matchless.

the only answer for competition use is rebuild using an 18 inch rim, however Michelin and Dunlop no longer make tubeless rear trials tyres!

Big John

thanks john were do i go from here??? i had a new dunlop come they are real bad,ok if the bikes in a show room, my old tyre got 3 times as much tred on it as the new one, but it cracking round the side walls, the question is if you put a tube tyre on a tube less rim with a tube a security bolts will it hold has any one tryed that, nice to find out before i have the wheel rebuilt, or just put on a tube less rim and use a tube aswell??

For 18" tube type you have 3 tyre choices - Michelin, IRC or Pirelli

The Michelin isn't the X11 as that's the one they discontinued, it is a sort of remake of the old X1 but in our experience in the muddy Midlands it isn't very good. However, given the absence of mud in the Scottish it should be ok.

The IRC tube tyre has very soft sidewalls, some seem better than others, but they can roll badly on the sidewalls the heavier you are. On a rigid they may roll but obviously I can't say categorically.

Pirelli will work ok but not have as much grip on the rocks as the other two.

Have you asked Clive Dopson what he uses on his Norton, may be worth doing so.

Don't fit a tube tyre to a tubeless rim as it will more than likely give you problems. If you fit a tubeless rim you can use a tubeless tyre in Scotland, just fit a tube. No need to ruin the rim by drilling for security bolts as the tyre will seat just the same as it would without the tube.

Edited by Woody

thanks for that woody as long as i can get some sort of good tyre for an 18 rim it will be ok, my riding skills are not that good so tyre type not to important i will still fall off or get stuck.

Edited by gazer

thanks woody i have a new Michelin tube tyre in the shed, some one came here riding and he had put a tube tyre on a tubeless rim, then could not make out why the rim would spin inside the tyre, so i gave a scond had tubeless, to keep him going

Gary

Ring me again if you want to talk tyres. In my opinion and experience, overall Dunlop is best on a heavy rigid in Scotland. Michelin survived the two days but had obviously damaged the plies as it had no lateral stiffness after two days. I have not tried an IRC yet, as last choice as probably too soft.

My advice use the Michelin you have and we can sort what tyre pressures later.

Hi Woody,

I will use tubeless rim/tyre with tube; the tyre will stay in place without security bolt/tyre lock, thats what you say?

Have seen some nice Ariels P65 with tubeless rims, but with security locks.

Getting rid of the security bolt is very good if possible.

Regards, Pat

For 18" tube type you have 3 tyre choices - Michelin, IRC or Pirelli

The Michelin isn't the X11 as that's the one they discontinued, it is a sort of remake of the old X1 but in our experience in the muddy Midlands it isn't very good. However, given the absence of mud in the Scottish it should be ok.

The IRC tube tyre has very soft sidewalls, some seem better than others, but they can roll badly on the sidewalls the heavier you are. On a rigid they may roll but obviously I can't say categorically.

Pirelli will work ok but not have as much grip on the rocks as the other two.

Have you asked Clive Dopson what he uses on his Norton, may be worth doing so.

Don't fit a tube tyre to a tubeless rim as it will more than likely give you problems. If you fit a tubeless rim you can use a tubeless tyre in Scotland, just fit a tube. No need to ruin the rim by drilling for security bolts as the tyre will seat just the same as it would without the tube.

Hi Woody,

I will use tubeless rim/tyre with tube; the tyre will stay in place without security bolt/tyre lock, thats what you say?

Yes, in my experience that is correct, with or without the tube, no need for security bolt/tyre lock

• 2 weeks later...