Bike Trials At Ttc

brian r

BikeTrial at the Trials Training Center

Sequatchie, Tennessee

09 October 2004

By Michael Friddell

Did somebody say something about rain? Oh yeah, that's right, only a forty percent chance, huh?! That forecast should have be more like this: "Light rain beginning at dawn, gradually getting harder as the day progresses and then tapering off once Mike Friddell's biketrials event concludes at around 3:00pm Eastern."

So yeah, it rained. As anyone who's ever been there can attest, the algae-covered rocks at the Trials Training Center get a "little" slippery when they are wet. Well, to be fair, not ALL the rocks were slippery - just most of them! Luckily, I knew there was a chance of rain so I tried to set the sections accordingly. I only had to make a couple of minor changes. I set all of the sections in a totally different area from the past events, called Dry Water Creek. It seems to have a nearly infinite number of possible lines so I'm looking forward to doing some future events in this area.

I have to say that I did expect a bigger turnout for this event. While it was awesome to have so many riders from other areas such as North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Ohio, I was a little disappointed to see only four of my fellow Tennessee riders. Hopefully, we'll see a few more at the Ocoee in two weeks.

Overall, everyone seemed to have a great time, despite the rain. I know I had a lot of fun putting together some "scratch-your-head" sections and seeing how each person came at them differently. The rain just added another dimension.

A big thanks to Dan, Bub, Charlie and everyone else at the TTC for keeping the place running and allowing me put on my events. I also must thank Murfreesboro Outdoor and Bike, Blue Ridge Mountain Sports and Red Bull for their indispensable support. Finally, thanks to all the riders and especially those whom I've gotten to know personally for all your words of encouragement. If nothing else, I enjoy putting on these events to see old friends and make new ones.

Results:

Beginner 26-inch

1. Jon Owens 31

2. Jason Wagnon 32

3. Chris Bond 46

Beginner 20-inch

1. Ben Myburgh 34

Sport 26-inch

1. Chris Layda 21

2. Melvyn Molder 22

3. Craig Durkin 33

Sport 20-inch

--

Expert 26-inch

1. Chuck Sherman 54

Expert 20-inch

1. Lance Kleffman 47

2. Dave Campbell 52

3. Chuck Sherman 60

Pro 26-inch

1. Andy Listes 29

Pro 20-inch

1. Tom McNeal 32

Photos:

Ben Myburgh - Practice

Jon Owens - Beginner Section 3

Jason Wagnon - Beginner Section 4

Chris Layda - Practice

Chris Layda - Sport Section 3

Lance Kleffman - Practice

Lance Kleffman - Expert Section 2

Dave Campbell - Expert Section 2

Dave Campbell - Expert Section 6

Andy Listes - Pro Section 2

Hi,

My name is Nathan Wallace, and I ride biketrials. I learned to ride a motorbike from Tom Deal-who used to ride at TTC a LOT. I live in Alabama, and there are very very few biketrialers here. I noticed you had Tom Mcneal listed as a winner in the Pro 20" in This Thread. I met Mr. Mcneal when he was doing a demo at WoW Birmingham last year. I have tried to get in touch with him through his e-mail at his website http://ontheedge.biketrials.com to no avail.

Basically what that all amounts to is: do you know Tom Mcneal, and could you get him to e-mail or something? I have pics of On The Edge from the demo he might be interested in, and more to the point, I just want somebody in AL with which to talk biketrials! It's a long shot I know, but I had to try.

If you know ANY biketrialers in Alabama, could you drop me a line? I appreciate ANY help, there is no one here at all! Thanks for reading :o

• 2 weeks later...

Tom has shown up a couple of times at the Gadsden event that is coming up 13 and 14 Nov. You might come on out, hang out and even if he does not show, it is always a good time.

Look me up if you get a chance, I will be the one trying to drag the kid off the Monty onto a Sherco.

Wow. They are doing the trials event in Gadsden, as in at the Deal's property? Owl's Hollow? This November 13 and 14? I know that Tom got out of riding moto trials, so I didn't think they would any more comps there. Kewl. If you can post and confirm I am on the right track here, that would be great. I grew up just down the street from there, I used to ride over to Tom's on my XR100. This is kewl, and I think I am free that weekend. Awesome!