Another Newbie

graham8554

Hello all

Another newbie looking for help and advice, started watching trials a couple of Months ago and now have been bitten, on return from watching a trial today i finally bit the bullet went on e bay and bought a bike, spent far more than i should have but isn't that always the way with e bay.

After listening to the most friendly bunch of people i have ever come across, i have bought a 93 Gas Gas 250, but can't find any referance to the model Contact do's it ring any bells with anyone?

Also now all the moneies gone and i still need boots and clothing what the minimum you can get away with, i do have an open face helmet but it's old fashion style will it be okay? and boots are motocross boots the same as trials? are there more cost effective alternatives? don't mind if i look a bit daft i am sure i will be falling off so often no one will notice what i am wearing.

Thanks for reading any comments and advice would be most welcome.

Graham

Hello all

Another newbie looking for help and advice, started watching trials a couple of Months ago and now have been bitten, on return from watching a trial today i finally bit the bullet went on e bay and bought a bike, spent far more than i should have but isn't that always the way with e bay.

After listening to the most friendly bunch of people i have ever come across, i have bought a 93 Gas Gas 250, but can't find any referance to the model Contact do's it ring any bells with anyone?

Also now all the moneies gone and i still need boots and clothing what the minimum you can get away with, i do have an open face helmet but it's old fashion style will it be okay? and boots are motocross boots the same as trials? are there more cost effective alternatives? don't mind if i look a bit daft i am sure i will be falling off so often no one will notice what i am wearing.

Thanks for reading any comments and advice would be most welcome.

Graham

Welcome, Graham.

In that your bike is 16 years old, you will want to check it over completely and relube all the necessary parts, such as the steering stem bearings, change the fork oil and generally spend some quality time tightening fasteners. This will pay you back in more riding time, and less fixing time.

The helmet should work for now (provided it passes the sanctioning club's requirements) and if you have MX boots they also can get you started but in the future you'll want good Trials boots with lug type soles (your feet will have a LOT of contact with the ground at the beginning and MX boot soles are designed to slide, not grip, and grip is what you'll want). You'll want a Trials helmet soon as it will be lighter and have a more pronounced "cut out" at the back, where it contacts your neck, that allows you to have your neck at a greater angle (while standing) more of the time.

Helmet, boots and gloves are very important in Trials and you'll eventually want to get those items specfically designed for Trials. They are different from the more common MX type items for reasons you'll soon understand and will make riding more enoyable. In the meantime, be more concerned with safety than looks, and although Trials is one of the safest forms of motorsports, accidents can happen and you'll want to be able to jump up, grab your bike and keep wow'ing the spectators with your new found skills...:(

Welcome aboard!

Jon