Gas Gas 270

braydon270

hi im new to the forum i need help i have a gas gas tx270 1989 and i need to no where i put the gearbox oil to i cant find nowhere to refill it ? thanks for any help braydon

Braydon,

Probably the easiest way is lay the bike on it's side, take the clutch sidecover off, and slowly pour the necessary volume of oil over the clutch. Make sure you use a new Allen wrench, or an old one with about 5mm cut off the tip to take off the small 3mm buttonhead socket screws and you will want, if possible, to use a hammer to rap the top of the t-handle to shock the screws loose, they are easily stripped.

Jon

Hi Braydon,

If your bike is a 1989 model, it would either be a 250 or 327cc, air cooled motor. These older models have an oil filler plug (6mm allen key) located below the kickstart shaft. All later models had at least this filling point, with later still models having a more accessible second filler point. (I am guessing that your bike is a 1998 model 270)

Just to be 100% sure of the oil type, in the UK, lads refer to "gearbox" oil as EP90 or similar high viscosity oils, the gearbox oil that you should use in your motor (1989 onwards) is as Jon describes, an ATF rated to Dexron III, or just a plain 10 weight mineral oil, not a synthetic in the older motors.

Bye, PeterB.