Beta 4 Stroke

mattholmes

after some advice i have a 08 4 stroke that for some reason wont rev smoothly ticks over fine have drained the fuel and filled with fresh just in case of any contamination and also stripped and cleaned carb twice and still no luck as soon as you try throttle it coughs splutters and backfires any advice welcome

tried new plug it didnt make any difference also checked cap to make sure that was fine, bike was running fine for about 20min previous then went slowly down a fairly long bank just using engine braking

taking it steady then the at the bottom when i started to throttle away the problem started ??????

Mine used to do this try a 110 main jet and get a Jitsie idle screw (makes adjusting easy) :D Then adjust for best idle, i found if there was a big change in temp i need to ajust this. - Hope this helps

I also added a twin air filter and cut some of the baffles out of the exhaust, it now revs and revs and is a total joy to ride !

Hello Matt,

I don't know what type of carb is fitted but the problem does seem to be carb/fuel related. If you have a DellOrto with an accellerator pump attached (like the Scorpa 4T) then these carbs are prone to accumulating dirt in the pump area, which is basically a small diaphragm inside a housing on the LHS of the carb. Needs a complete strip and thorough clean out.

If it is a Keihin carb, these must be run with an inline fuel filter as there is no filter fitted in the carb.

If not the carb, then the problem is likely to be electrical though I have not heard of any problems with the 4T motor.

Good luck, PeterB.

OK Matt, sorry, you didn't say on your first post that you had changed the spark plug for a brand new one.

However, what position is your fuel tap in, it should be set so that the long plastic tip is pointing down as per the manual. I have heard of some who are riding the bike with the fuel tap set wrongly.

Big John

As stated by helloyes the jitsie fuel screw is a must as far as helping to get to the fuel screw. Was there any water in the bottom of the bowl ? All passages clean ? Is there a tear or a pin hole in the top of the diaphram ? Maybe unhook the kill switch to see if it still does it. Just some things to look at. John were you thinking the fuel valve may not be opening all the way when the bike is started ?

Just remembered the vent pipe from the top of the carb has a rubber boot pushed over it. These perish so check this, its at the top on the right as you sit on the bike. Mine went as did my mates, i just made a nylon bung. The bike runs odd if this vents to atmosphere.