Tl 125 Missing Above Quater To Half Throttle

rmxboy

I have a TL 125s motor in a '73 frame. The last time that i rode it, it had a miss or bog at a third or half throttle. I thought that it sounded like it was loading or choking up. I have been off it since May last year due to an injury and have been playing around trying to trace the miss. I have got a 95 main jet, a 38 pilot jet and the needle is a 062307. I have tried lifting the clip on the needle to the top slot (thinking it was running rich) but the miss is still there. I have found that it will rev cleanly to 1/4 throttle then any more it starts to miss or sound like its choked. This is with no load on the engine in nuetral. Is this the wright needle?. I noticed that at the point of missing, the exhaust is clean burning eg not black sooty smoke. The plug is quite light in colour and now I am thinking it may be runninng lean. Would these symptems match a lean setting? I have advanced the points to see if they were the issue, but same result.

The bike is a project that has been built from three others. It goes okay and cleans up the local twinshock class but this miss is annoying me. It wont pull up any hills at all and TY 175s balst up them. Sorry for the long question but tying to hand over all details. The one thing that i havent tried is pulling the choke half on to see if it is running lean. Ignition or jetting?

Gday, If the plug is quite clean and white looking it is too lean. Try your needle back in the 3rd position (which is the usual rule of thumb spot) and reset your timing back to where it should be. Let us know how that goes. I dont have specs for needles on those, perhaps someone will chip in and say if its correct. It all sounds like needle to me.

Cheers,

Stork

Thanks for thesuggestions . I will try a new condensor and points at the weekend. I have also ordered a carb rebuilt kit and found an old coil off one of the donor bikes. I will try these one at a time and look for a definate answer. will keep you informed.

Seems to me that at about 1/4 throttle and up is where the main jet starts to kick in. Might be something blocking it and starving the engine for fuel or the needle is too low doing the same thing. At idle and up to 1/4 it is mostly the pilot jet I beleive. Just something else to look into.