Headstock Bearing Help!

tombo46

Ive been changing the steering bearings and found the bottom on was absolutly nackered. problem is its so nackered that its seperated itself from the inside race which is now stuck. any ideas how to get it off? tried WD40, heating it up but it just doesnt want to budge!

Tom

Ive been changing the steering bearings and found the bottom on was absolutly nackered. problem is its so nackered that its seperated itself from the inside race which is now stuck. any ideas how to get it off? tried WD40, heating it up but it just doesnt want to budge!

Tom

Tom,

There is a special puller, the bad news is you have to make it yourself :(

I've cut the inner race diagonally with a Dremel and a thin abrasive wheel and then used a chisel and a sharp rap with a steel hammer to split the race, but using a MIG or TIG to quickly weld a piece of metal to the race to lever it off works well. The heat has to be quick and localized so the aluminum is not damaged. I would imagine that the shaft could be pressed out of the lower tripleclamps (and then pressed back in) to lever the race up/off but that might be a last resort.

Jon

I have used carbide end mills in a milling machine to cut a groove in the inner race. Once the wall thickness is very thin, it will split with a little force. It was surprising how easy the races machine with carbide tools.

I was surprised how easily it split too, I ground it down with a small cutter on my air compressor, then when it was thin, used the flat edge id ground out to get a grip on it. and bobs your real dad, it cracked =]

Thanks for the help

Tom