Another Hodaka Trials Bike (sort Of A Hodaka)

jaylael

This very unique home made trials bike has recently surfaced at a local trial in Connel Washington. It was built by Frank Theim of Idaho and uses a KX 80 bottom end mated to a very customized Hodaka cylinder and head. Apparently Frank made his own frame and almost everything else!

post-27-1236799095.jpg

post-27-1236799104.jpg

post-27-1236799111.jpg

post-27-1236799123.jpg

Edited by JayLael

maybe an extra inch or two on the swinging arm??? ;)

Wheelbase does look a little on the short side! I wonder how long that swinging arm will stay in line with the asymmetrical damper given some hard use. Not sure about that strange exhaust system either, but otherwise it's kind of pretty and makes up a little for the lack of specials on the scene these days.

Wayne....

Edited by wayne_weedon

You have to admit this old guy is plucky as can be! You can bet he's old, creaky and has a bad back or he would never have resorted to the foam seat thingy. Kudos to him for doing all this work, whether it be misguided or not. I think overall it's awesome, because it kept this old duffer out from underfoot in his wife's kitchen for a good part of the winter or longer. Just to have a project can keep a guy interested in getting out of bed in the morning. Then to show up at a trial with it is just so bold! God bless this man and his unusual bike.

You have to admit this old guy is plucky as can be! You can bet he's old, creaky and has a bad back or he would never have resorted to the foam seat thingy. Kudos to him for doing all this work, whether it be misguided or not. I think overall it's awesome, because it kept this old duffer out from underfoot in his wife's kitchen for a good part of the winter or longer. Just to have a project can keep a guy interested in getting out of bed in the morning. Then to show up at a trial with it is just so bold! God bless this man and his unusual bike.

I agree! Based on my background and experience, I would have made different design decisions, but that background also makes me really, really appreciate how much effort he has put into his creation. Good for him!

Jon

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello James. Good to see you.

No I doubt it, but if this guy showed up I'd try to talk the boss into letting him run. It's pretty far off from being a Hodaka really, but I have a great deal of respect for someone who will go this far and work this hard to build a trials bike.