280 Pro Clutch

camlifter

the clutch on my 06 drags when disengaged. tried new O rings in the slave and bleading it with a syringe, still drags, every thing looked ok and the finger hight was 16.8mm. called gas gas to see about the 1.3mm steel plates and they said there no longer available, have to by the whole clutch pack, fibers and steels together. is there any one still selling the thiner steels. or has anyone ever tried putting one on a surface grinder and taking it down to the 1.3mm size.

Hi camlifter,

The 06 model uses mineral oil as the operating liquid inbetween the clutch master and slave - just making sure you haven't used hydraulic type oil here.

The main reasons for the clutch dragging would be the slave seals or master seals passing, or the system needing bleeding, or not having correct gearbox oil - I'd start there.

For clutch packs that are a little high, you can get away with rubbing down the fibre plate on fine emery paper on a sheet of glass. It doesn't take much.

The finger height seems low, I can't remember off hand the correct height (17.5 mm is it?), but anything less doesn't help.

Bye, PeterB.

i'm using 10w-40 in the trans and mineral oil in the clutch. i took apart the clutch last night, the pack thickness was right on so that is good, everything looked good. the finger hight is in spec at 16.8mm but the spec allows for up to 19.5mm. it could be a problem with the master at the handle bars but i don't think so. i don't lose the clutch, it dosen't drag more while hold it in with time as it would if it was losing pressure. i'll try bleeding it again. once i get it working i'll post up what i found, thanks for the help.

GM Auto Trak II (available at most General M

otors dealerships) works very well in Pro gearcases. I have been running my 300 and my wife's 280 on this from the start on advise from the GG importer. Never a clutch issue on either bike.

there was atf in the gear case. i changed to motor oil but problem still there. i bought the bike a few weeks ago from a friend who bought it new, he's been in the military since 05, so he never really got to ride it. a lot of sitting in the garage. hadn't been rode in over a year when i got it. the gauge panel reads less than 5 hours. i'm not sure if that can be reset but he said it 's had less than 3 tanks of gas ran through it. i just ordered a rebuild kit for the master, hope that does it.

Drop the motor oil and go to the GM Auto Trac II as has been suggested, it is working well in all of the Canadian Bikes with initial advice from the GasGas USA importer; motor oil is not "slippery" enough.

Spencer