Beta 270 Or Gas Gas 280 Or 300?

skye2

Hello all i am new to this and i'm after some honest opinions of which bike to go for next, i have owned a Montesa 315r for a few years now and find it very good in its reliability & build quality but it is a little too heavy for me to hop around, i am looking to update it now & can't make my mind up on whether to go for a Beta 270 or Gas Gas 280 or 300? I have heard some horror stories of the Gas gas Pro's but thought i'd put it to the real guys who actually use them, any help will be very much appreciated as i don't want to buy a bike which i may regret in months to come. Thanks...

Welcome to TC. It would help if you could give an idea of the type of events that you enter as a 300 Gas Gas often suits a very different rider to a 280. Personally, when I tried one, I found the 280 to be no good at all for my limited ability, it just got me into trouble... but I only ride club over 40 events. For me the 250 is more than enough. :rolleyes:

Hi

I had a Beta 250 and changed it for an '08 270.

What a mistake! Unless you're an expert who needs hudge amounts of instant power forget the 270.

It's not so much the amount of power, but the way it all arrives at once with every touch of the throttle.

I can't comment on the Gas Gas but i now know the 200 would have been enough, and the 250 plenty!

But then thats just my experience and you might be (OK, more than likley!!) a far more capable rideer than me, so i suppose do like i didn't, and test ride as many options as possible.

Cheers

Hi,

thanks for replying and giving me some insight, i haven't actually entered a trial for some years now but i have alot of land i can ride on and enjoy playing around with friends on a sunday, climbing steep banks, small rock faces and making our own sections up etc, i also have to go on the highway between few hundred yards and a mile to get to various fields & moors i use so was wanting a road legal bike that is why i fancied something with a bit more power, ie 270/280. I'm no expert rider by any means but i rode a '06 beta 250 and loved it but was wondering if that extra 20cc makes alot of difference as i don't know anyone with a 270 to test ride. I also enjoyed the gas gas 280 pro i rode but i'm unsure of the build quality as they are very light but i am only a few miles away from GAS GAS UK so getting parts should be relatively easy in comparison to mail order...

Thanks