Advice Needed On Rev3 270 Gear Problem

roobeasty

Had a disaster today, while riding up a section my bike stopped, as if chain came off. No such luck, it has lost 1st and 2nd and keeps jumping out of the other gears. Gear lever is solid to push down past 2nd. The bike is a 2007 REV3 270. When you let clutch out in 1st it stalls engine. I have an entry for ssdt so just a bit panicked,, any help advice would be much appreciated.

Hi,

We've just had a similar problem on an 05. We are at the stage of splitting the cases.

I am told that once the barrel is off and the reed valves etc the cases will split very easily, retaining all the gear boxy bits in the clutch side of the gearbox. So in theory you won't have to remove the clutch and all the bits in there. However if I were you then removing the clutch would be my first port of call to see if it is just a problem in there because that is an easy fix (although your symptoms don;t sound like a problem in this area of the engine).

Have a look inside and see what you find, you'll need a flywheel puller first, and access to an air wrench makes things a lot easier, particularly for the clutch where there seems to be no way of holding it, the flywheel can be held using a couple of bits of metal bar screwed together like a pair of scissors and then bolting them through the holes in the flywheel, but not too far or you'll damage the stator.

Bob

Hi

I have got the gear box open and the first gear is gone, just a pile of bits. It has also wiped out the 5th gear, and to put icing on the cake the debris punched a hole through the main casing into the clutch area.

I will have to try and sort this with quick steel or Belzona. Beta will only sell both sides of the crank casing together and can't afford to replace both of them .

Is this a common fault with the REV3 ?

Cheers

Andrew