05 Gg 125 Pro, Won't Go In Neutral And No Kick-start Spring?

bowerz

Hi,

I recently purchased an 05 GG 125 Pro. It creeps a fair bit when the clutch is in (it ocassionally does it on my Sherco 250 but not as extreme and as often as this) and i can only get it into neutral when it isn't running. You have to pull so hard then when it finally does click into neutal, you go past it and into the next gear. I have changed the box oil (10-30) to no avail. But now the kickstart doesn't spring back up and you have to pull it back up manually. What is likely to be up here and how much of a job is it to fix it? Thanks ever so much, Liam

Hi,

I recently purchased an 05 GG 125 Pro. It creeps a fair bit when the clutch is in (it ocassionally does it on my Sherco 250 but not as extreme and as often as this) and i can only get it into neutral when it isn't running. You have to pull so hard then when it finally does click into neutal, you go past it and into the next gear. I have changed the box oil (10-30) to no avail. But now the kickstart doesn't spring back up and you have to pull it back up manually. What is likely to be up here and how much of a job is it to fix it? Thanks ever so much, Liam

Liam,

It might be a good idea to take off the clutch sidecover and inspect the kickstart mechanism. If the return spring has broken, you may have a part of it loose in the gearbox where it could cause some serious damage.

Make sure the adjustment screw on the clutch lever is backed out far enough to allow the master cylinder piston to return fully back to the stop at the circlip. The Pros are a little difficult to get in neutral when stopped but you should not have that much trouble. You also may want to try Dexron ATF in the gearbox to see if that helps to reduce the clutch drag.

Jon

Ok, got all the bolts out last night and couldnt get the cover off for some reason. After about 30-45 minutes of tapping with a mallett and trying various things, we gave up. Started on it again earlier this evening and managed to pry it off of the engine. Once off it was clear there where no bits of anything in the bottom of the clutch area or anywhere else. We couldn't see where said spring is or would be. We got it back together and found out that one of the clutch arms had crept out and missed where the plate attached to the cover moves and was hitting. We got it all back together again and it went fine, but still no kick-start spring. We adjusted the clutch (as BVM told us how to), bled it and topped up the reseviour and now it goes into neutral like a peach but the clutch has a lot bite than before. Should be able to balance these two things out with a bit of tinkering no problem. Not a lot of creep anymore either. BUT, there still is this problem with the spring. The only thing i could make any link to as a spring was a U shaped peice of round metal on the kickstart shaft with the U being parrallel to the shaft and the ends tailing off at 90 degrees and forming a ring around the kick-start shaft. Any more idea's?

Just used my initive and viewed the engine and frame parts manual on the internet and the bit i was describing was the friction spring, and i can see the other spring involved but when i took the casing off, it was not possible to see this spring.

You should as far as I remember be able to see the spring. I would guess that the spring has broken, but it may be possible that it has just "glipped over". When the clutch cover is off you should be able to take the kick axle out without using tools. just bend it out. (Or do you have to remove the clutch and the nearest gear? I dont remember). Once the axle is out you can inspect the spring.

If it looks ok the install prosedure is like this: Put the long end of the spring into the hole in the engine case. Twist the axle one round counterclockwise to achieve spring tension. Use the kick lever as a tool for this. Then push the whole thing into the engine case.

When remounting the clutch cover it is important that the "U" on the friction spring enters the right hole in the cover.

Hope this helps.

-Jan

Edited by JanDyb

You should as far as I remember be able to see the spring. I would guess that the spring has broken, but it may be possible that it has just "glipped over". When the clutch cover is off you should be able to take the kick axle out without using tools. just bend it out. (Or do you have to remove the clutch and the nearest gear? I dont remember). Once the axle is out you can inspect the spring.

If it looks ok the install prosedure is like this: Put the long end of the spring into thehole in the engine case. Twist the axle one round counterclockwise to achieve spring tension. Use the kick lever as a tool for this. Then push the hole thing into the engine case.

When remounting the clutch cover it is important that the "U" on the friction spring enters the right hole in the cover.

Hope this helps.

-Jan

Just took a look at my own 300 pro. The spring is NOT visible with the clutch in, and it is of course NOT possible to take out the kickstart axle without first removing the clutch. Removing the clutch is no big deal. One allen in the middle and then withdraw the whole clutch assembly.

-Jan

Yeh, that huge gear on the clutch is in the way, i was sure i couldn't see it either! That's a job for when i replace the fork seals...

Serious if I were you I would take a look as soon as possible. There is a possibility that the spring has broken and that there are loose spring parts in there. Although it has not yet done any harm it could happen any time. If so the conequenses are likely to be mutch bigger than just a broken spring.

-Jan