Crankshaft Bearing

markmaltby

My friends Txt 280 is making a terrible noise which appears to be coming from the bearing behind the flywheel,is it possible to change the bearing without fully stripping the engine.

Any help appreciated

Thanks Mark

Thanks Mikee for the reply,not really the response i was hoping for but it really needs sorting so i will have to bite the bullet and sort it for him.

Is there any special tools required other than a flywheel puller.

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated

Thanks Mark

Thanks Mikee for the reply,not really the response i was hoping for but it really needs sorting so i will have to bite the bullet and sort it for him.

Is there any special tools required other than a flywheel puller.

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated

Thanks Mark

What year and model is it? The earlier "Edition" models are quite different from the newer "Pro" engines.

Jon

Hi

The bike is a 2000 txt 280 not sure if it is a pro as the stickers are missing.

Hi!

You have the older type engine, often referred to as the "Edition" model, after the last ones off the assembly line. It's fairly straightforward to work on and and the features are common to most two-strokes, unlike the Pro engine which has features unique to only the Pro design.

You'll need a flywheel puller and I'm pretty sure the 2000 has the Kokusan Analog System. The flywheel hub threads will look exactly like the normal Japanese pullers will work, but you will need a special puller with right-hand threads ("regular" Japanese pullers are left-hand threads).

Possibly a crank puller will be needed, but otherwise, normal shop tools will be all you need.

Jon