Aftermarket Shocks - Worth It?

shercofray

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has got an aftermarket shock for their Sherco, I was looking at some ohlins ones which had come of a Gas Gas and they said they 'may' fit shercos, also the TRP one. Any thoughts welcome, and do they make a difference,

Fray

Hi, The TRP shock tranforms the Sherco. It aids steering as well as traction and stability. Thy can be reconditioned. There are 22 rebound adjustments. You can get the right spring for your weight. The GG Ohlin is, I think, too long. Good luck.

At 100 kg the stock 2007 Caby 2.9 shock was too soft and lacking feel, it would bottom if I sneezed.

TRP has changed the way the bike rides for this Novice, I can do all sorts of basic things I was struggling with before as I can load an unload the suspension instead of just overwhelming it.

Edited by Autostream

Autostream,

I'm experiencing the same issue with my 06' Caby. I found the shock was blown and totally out of oil and charge which seems to be a common thing regarding the 06' shock. I tried a Works Performance Shock and it was just a bit to short for the Caby. I'm a Novice as well but I can feel the difference when riding a few of my friends bikes which are setup correctly. Can you tell me anything more about the TRP? I'm glad that you have the suspension setup that makes this so much enjoyable as we learn the basics.

All the best,

Carl

Edited by cfraser

Fray,

A friend rides a Gaser and I did notice their is a difference regarding length between his shock and mine on the Sherco. I also tried a Works Performance Shock which works great on my 02' 2.9 but really is lousy on the 06' Caby. The dogbones between the two Sherco's are different lengths and hence, different shock lengths. The Caby uses a shorter swingarm also. Your 07' should use the same length shock as my 06' so the Works Performance Shock would be to short? I'm going to do some research on the TRP and will let you know if I find anything out. I'm new to trials but have been riding for years. I'm torn between an aftrermarket shock or rebuilding the caby's shock and changing spring rates.

All the best,

Carl

Edited by cfraser

... Can you tell me anything more about the TRP? I'm glad that you have the suspension setup that makes this so much enjoyable as we learn the basics.

Being new to Trials and although I was a car mechnic in a previous life, knew noting about trials bikes or their suspension so I am not sure what I can tell you...

I bounced on another guys Sherco 2.7 with TRP and he is about same weight.... I immediately felt the difference, it felt like suspension rather than a bike gasping and collapsing under my weight. Original shock had the spring would right up and apparently the caby is a little better sprung than stock 2.9(?)

I bought it through the local importer and suspension Guru who I have dealt with before, that way, any issues and he got it back.

There was some confusion about which way up to mount it, as it is mounted upside down on Sherco compared to all the other applications, I needed to grind the top mount slightly to clear the body as had the guy who I tried his sghock, but the selling dealer thiought I shouldn't...

I did 2.5 laps of my first gate trial on Sunday before I ran out of Puff and beleive I have taken a quantaum leap in my riding from crap to below average...