Pampera.. Whats On The To Do List?

totalshell

Recently bought an 04 mk3 pampera 250 with the intention of riding sammy miller rounds and classic long distance trials.

i've changed the bars for trials renthals, re positioned levers, put trials tyres front and rear and i've had the grinder out and had the pillion footrests off and all other lumps and bumps. i'm making up some front mudguard brakets so that the high and wide moto cross style front guard can be replaced with a modern trials fender.

what other mods are profitable? will the footrests move down and back on the main frame? any more weight thats begging to be lost? what gearing are you using, what fuel /oil ratio and plugs?

Move the pegs back. Rear footrest brackets are the easiest solution, they make the bike a little wider but can be removed easily. You will need to shorten the rear brake lever accordingly.

Fit a stone guard under the frame rails and take a look at the front rim... they are made of putty. I cahnged both rims and fitted heavy duty spokes, but it is only the front that is a problem.

BVM Moto at Stroud (UK) did have the foot rest brackets and skid plates in stock at one time.

100_1058.jpg

100mls of oil to 5 litres of fuel for road trials/enduros or 80mls for short circuit events and you won't be far out.

The rear suspension bushes need lots of care, strip them down and regrease before they start to squeak. Once they make a noise they are shot and they cost a fortune. You will need a 16mm spanner for the bottom nut, it's the only time I have ever used a 16 for anything and I had to go out and buy one just for that job!

The speedo's only work with the lights on!!! Why?? That said, mine stopped working completely after a couple of months.

Brilliant bike for LDT's you just need to keep on top of tha maintenace.

Pete

Picturesfromlaptop123.jpg

Be careful of that bottom shock bolt. It is a strange and expensive type with a wasted shank for some reason, they break easily and have to be ordered from Gas Gas.

I sold my Pampera a couple of years back, but I ran one tooth down onthe front (11 I think) I tried a 10 which made it even more like a trials bike but it was useless on the road bits. Many people also remove the chain guide and fir a trials style tensioner but I didn't do this, so I don't know how hard it is to do.

Also check that you have security bolts fitted to the rims if you are gloing to run low pressures. Mine came with trials tyres and rim locks from new, but it was a BVM one and I think they did that.

100_1053.jpg

TS - I'm still running my 280 Pamp from 03.

Mods - Pull rad grill down to cover rad fully.

Boyesen reeds are well worth it. Grind steering lock stops back loads...

I run 10T gearbox sprox for trials & 11T for LDT type events.

Rear-set foot pegs are an essential mod - they transform the bike's handling.

Using a Keihin carb with the reeds, my 280 is better on fuel than my mate's 250!

Up to 60 mpg on a dry day.

A great all-round bike.

• Like 1