Engine Rebuild Time

keta

May take a bit of adjustment on the fuel screw in warmer weather , bout 1/4 to 1/2 turn in to lean it a bit.

Having voltage to the yellow wire is good! Now needs both a working regulator and rectifier to make fan work properly(along with thermo switch).

Be sure both are in circuit, and you can test fan motor with 12 V battery if needed. :thumbup:

May take a bit of adjustment on the fuel screw in warmer weather , bout 1/4 to 1/2 turn in to lean it a bit.

Having voltage to the yellow wire is good! Now needs both a working regulator and rectifier to make fan work properly(along with thermo switch).

Be sure both are in circuit, and you can test fan motor with 12 V battery if needed. :thumbup:

Thanks,

I tested the fan with a car battery and it worked! I then put it back together and the fan worked on the bike too! Must have been a dodgy connection.

I haven't oiled the air filter yet and the exhaust is leaking where two of the parts meet. I'll try and sort these before adjusting the fuel screw. Would a blowing exhaust cause the backfiring?

Thanks,

I tested the fan with a car battery and it worked! I then put it back together and the fan worked on the bike too! Must have been a dodgy connection.

I haven't oiled the air filter yet and the exhaust is leaking where two of the parts meet. I'll try and sort these before adjusting the fuel screw. Would a blowing exhaust cause the backfiring?

I suppose technically, if the exhaust is leaking it could also suck in free air, which could throw things off a bit.

Popping can be on either extreme of lean or rich, floaty idle is on the lean side. If jetting is correct and carby is clean, somewhere around 3 turns out on the fuel screw would get into the range. Too rich and they will blubber a bit when slowwly revved, too lean and they may hesitate when cracked and tend to float, find happy medium! Between 2.5 and 3.5 turns out usually, start with 1/2 turn differences. then narrow the range a 1/4 turn at a test, then 1/8! Everything right , they will still vary slightly and pop for you. :thumbup:

I suppose technically, if the exhaust is leaking it could also suck in free air, which could throw things off a bit.

Popping can be on either extreme of lean or rich, floaty idle is on the lean side. If jetting is correct and carby is clean, somewhere around 3 turns out on the fuel screw would get into the range. Too rich and they will blubber a bit when slowwly revved, too lean and they may hesitate when cracked and tend to float, find happy medium! Between 2.5 and 3.5 turns out usually, start with 1/2 turn differences. then narrow the range a 1/4 turn at a test, then 1/8! Everything right , they will still vary slightly and pop for you. :thumbup:

Thanks for all your great advice Copemech! Today was the bikes happiest day and the worse for my knee! I oiled the air filter and then replaced exhaust O rings. I pulled the fuel mix out 3 turns as you described and the bike ran great with no backfiring. No excess of smoke either for once, almost invisible. This could have been the ideal setting but i'm scared of seizing the bugger so I went another half turn to the rich side which made things a little worse and visible smoke.

However I have obviously put the carb back on at the wrong angle and couldn't lift the choke. It started anyway no problem first kick, and it is warm, but this may suggest it is too rich as it doesn't require choke!?

The second time in as many days that the kickstart has kicked back. Hitting an already brusied knee at the exact same point on the handlebars hurt! I now have a purple knee :D New technique needed lol