First Ride

vintagecota

Well, I finally took the 240 I picked up in Oregon last weekend out for a real ride. Brilliant! I still need plenty of getting used to it, especially turning, but I don't think there's much that I'd ever try that would be too big for it to go up. In fact, I was going up bigger stuff in the first 1/2 hr. on the bike than I've ever gone up on a vintage Montesa.

It's a bit faster than my Cotas, more like a modern bike, so getting the proper flow and timing is a challenge. Also, it doesn't lug quite as well as the Monts, I stalled it several times in several situations. You can use the clutch more like a modern bike though, so I'll just have to adapt.

I met an older gentleman on my ride, who owns two 240s and recently made one rider out of the two, so has a ton of surplus parts that he said he'd sell, so things are looking up!

Fantic.jpg

:P You've got a unmolested (IE.stock ) 240 pro !!! how can things get much better ? The more you ride it , the more you'll like it ...

Guaranteed ! I never owned a 2 stroke trials bike and had never even heard of a Fantic when I bought mine , so I had to learn to ride all over again ... Most likely the best built bike I've ever owned ...

Glenn :crying:

post-1232-1244848474.jpg

Yes, it is all stock, the only thing I can find that has been changed is the rear sprocket is now 43 teeth.

Yours looks like it's got some of the requisite mods, eh?

Foot pegs further back? Brake pedal shortened? Changed top yokes?

• 3 weeks later...
OK then all you Fantic fanatics. I let VintageCota have a go on my mighty 300 over the weekend at the Trial. Judging by the smile on his face he like it.......and the review is from Shaun......

Hi Steve, I don't know how I missed this post, but I just saw it now.

Yes, the mighty 300 was an eye opener. As soon as the clutch took up, my eyes bugged out and I let out a whoop. The torque was amazing. It felt like it could go anywhere. The chassis felt a lot like the 240, but the motor is something else!

I've been working to make mine run better than when you saw it, and so far so good. A little more to improve, but it's much better. Thank you for the ride.

Shaun

Edited by vintageCota