Flywheel Holding Tool

dan williams

Working on a friend's bike I was concerned his flywheel key may have sheared so I removed the flywheel (key was fine) now how to re-install? Holding the bike in gear with the back brake locked is not an option. Not only can you not get enough torque on the nut you risk damaging the crank by applying twisting force to it.

After scheming various machined and welded special tools I realized I was over thinking it.

$6 worth of bar stock, four holes, three bolts, a wing nut, couple of washers and one hacksaw cut later...Voila! The Beta flywheel holding tool. Works like a charm.

http://newenglandtrials.org/flywheel_tool.jpg

That's amazing...it's just like the one I have at home,only mine fits Shercos..funny that. :wacko:

Caution, if you're gonna make one for a Beta I think the bolt thread depth is crucial , I seem to remember someone wrecking their stator with a home-made holder.

Yup the washers keep the bolts from digging the coils as well as making it all line up.

The rope in the cylinder trick is OK I suppose but it still applys twisting torque to one side of the crank plus it adds possible contaminents to the combustion chamber.