Sherco Fork Seals

monk

It's always best to check the oil heights rather than trying to go on the quantity alone.

I have to confess that I don't actually know the oil heights for your bike, that is assuming it is the 2000 Sherco 290 with the older style forks that have the spring on one side and a damper rod on the other. Hopefully somebody here will have the info but if not I'll look into it for you.

In the mean time I'd recommend to keep putting a drop more oil into the right hand leg, the one with the damper, until the fork stops sounding so bad.

Hope this helps a little

Chris

Thanks Chris ( and for supplying the Seals ! :icon_salut: ) - both my fork legs are identical with a spring in each. They have a blue air cap on top which screws into the top of the 22mm Allen key hex stopper. i wasnt sure if i needed to compress the forks and try to get the air out or not.(Wayne doesnt mention it - so i guess not) They seem to be settling down now and have stopped leaking from the drain plug, so fingers crossed.

good to see you on board with the sponsorship and thanks for the great service on your own stuff - all good. :thumbup:

Cheers

Caddabs

They seem to be settling down now and have stopped leaking from the drain plug, so fingers crossed.

The Allen head bolt is either not tight enough or (from memory) you need a new copper washer on that bolt.....These things normally go on and off with a rattle gun....but I've personally not had to use one for tightening.

Best of balance.

Neo

Thanks Chris ( and for supplying the Seals ! :icon_salut: ) - both my fork legs are identical with a spring in each. They have a blue air cap on top which screws into the top of the 22mm Allen key hex stopper. i wasnt sure if i needed to compress the forks and try to get the air out or not.(Wayne doesnt mention it - so i guess not) They seem to be settling down now and have stopped leaking from the drain plug, so fingers crossed.

good to see you on board with the sponsorship and thanks for the great service on your own stuff - all good. :thumbup:

Cheers

Caddabs

So you have the 00-05 forks, 330ml per leg is the number from dry. Figured they would settle after stroking air out. Easier to do before stuffing springs back in.

The air caps will provide a bit of adjustability. Providing the sealing o-rings are good(most not) you can put full weight onto front , crack them and re secure, which provides a slight vacume in the forks at running height. Drops the front and improves geometry for tight knarley sections.

I always had to put slightly larger thickness american o-rings on the caps to get them to seal well.

The air caps, just sit on the bike and crack them to bleed off any pressure build then re seat them normally.