Getting Between Sections

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

Good morning. I'm planning to go a bit further to a few trials this winter, and wondered how to get legal for the road between sections, rather than load the trailer up each time. I'm buying a new bike, so can register it and I have a full bike license.

Questions:

Is there any special registration catagory for a competition machine, or is it just like any other bike?

Will I need a proper size number plate?

How much is road tax for a 300cc machine - probably doing less than 100 miles a year?

Where's a good place to get road insurance for a trials bike - I suppose 3rd party is all I need?

Are there any legal exemptions to save all of the bother?

Many thanks :mellow:

Good morning. I'm planning to go a bit further to a few trials this winter, and wondered how to get legal for the road between sections, rather than load the trailer up each time. I'm buying a new bike, so can register it and I have a full bike license.

Questions:

Is there any special registration catagory for a competition machine, or is it just like any other bike? Dealer will register it for you, think its alot easier for them.

Will I need a proper size number plate? No one does

How much is road tax for a 300cc machine - probably doing less than 100 miles a year? about 45

Where's a good place to get road insurance for a trials bike - I suppose 3rd party is all I need? get fully comp its hardly any different and gives you security, this is the reason i register my bikes. rathmells have a tie up with dodson, or motorbike direct can do it carole nash

Are there any legal exemptions to save all of the bother? its no real bother really

Many thanks :mellow:

Will I need a proper size number plate?

Yes you do. No number plate you are open for prosecution

How much is road tax for a 300cc machine - probably doing less than 100 miles a year?

You do not get a discount for low milage

Just done an online quote -

The insurance quote is for standard bike cover - social dometic and pleasure etc, which I suppose covers theft and liability for accidents with other road users. I wonder if it excludes trials and competition in the small print.

What does everybody else do? Take out normal cover and then the one day top up from ACU?

We have been working with an Insurance broker to offer advice and assistance to them in order for them to provide an annual policy which recognises that Enduro & Trials machines will be used on the road in some events while travelling between sections etc.

The cover is now available - and the broker knows exactly what we want - and it is with a reputable big insurance name - it also allows you to tax bike etc so I hope it is job done.

Contact is MSM Insurance - 01279 870535 Fax 01279 870636

I have cover with this company, not as cheap as some but it saves on paying RTA cover for road based Trials.

The insurance quote is for standard bike cover - social dometic and pleasure etc, which I suppose covers theft and liability for accidents with other road users. I wonder if it excludes trials and competition in the small print.

What does everybody else do? Take out normal cover and then the one day top up from ACU?

Speak to Jamie he lives just down the road from you.