Road Insurance

chewy

Just collected new EVO 200 2010 ha ha! dead chuffed.......Can anybody reccomend good (including best price) insurer to get road tax who might just recognise Make model etc.

Just spoke to my current insurer (... broker called Aquote.. who had previosly insured my rev3 200 who in turn put the bis with Norwich Union..fully comp 85 quid last year I am ancient!....)

They went through usual stuff called the underwriters etc who came up with 165 quid and a lot of huffing about racing off road use etc. So is ther somebody out ther who wants to insure my bike against theft from most secure garage ever and maybe 500 miles a year at top speed of say 60 mph?

Yes have been running last model(08) rev 3 200 's (my missus is mad keen too) for last 2 years ;..no problem insuring that as the comparison sites have rev 3 models listed in thier search engines/databases.. fully comp all bells & whistles for 85 quid.

As I said just collected bike yesterday from BVM.. took it boxed as I need the ligts etc for european trials we do. First strong impression is that it is put together much more carefully than last bikes the wiring looms are tidy... little things like shakeproof washers and splitpins are where they should be. Only ridden it round the garden and the motor is sweet exept for noisy clutch ..no change there. I tweaked the air screw (mikuni still) and got it running really smooth it seems to have more bottom end than the rev 3.. clutch separates really cleanly suspension is bit on stiff side at moment but plenty of adjustment opportunities ( reminds me I must read the CD based manual). Nice to be able to fit straight on my control footrests (sometimes they mess about with mounting angles etc.) Fitted slow action throttle barrel (yes I'm that slow) Havn't worked out what go faster mapping switch does.. perhaps you have to rev it to feel the difference. It has those one bolt handlebar clamps so I hope they arn't made of toffee like other manufacturers have done in the past. I was underpowered perhaps 6 times in 2 years on the rec 3 and all the rest of the time the 200 helped me (Been riding trials for over 40 years and have tried /owned just about everything available in that time) I wasn't really bothered to change bikes as the rev 3 was well up to my abilities however new enthusiasm comes with new bike at the moment very pleased with this evo 200 just got to get past sensible insurance issue.

Hope we can compare notes Doogle on the bikes it's my experience that first impressions last ,and my feeling about this bike is good. Regards underpowered on rev3 a few times .you have to remember we all have our own riding technique and terrain to ride; I learned to ride trials on underpowered bikes and have always had a wild throttle hand so the slow action throttle & 200 cc helps me big time but for example big hills on beta needing 4th gear require far more finesse on a 200 than on a 290 for example as for big steps etc just watch the youngsters on 125 's .. it's all down to technique

Sounds like a good deal on the insurance. I didn't try bikesure, but wish I had now.

You are right about technique. I ride completely the opposite way and if anything I am guilty of not enough throttle.

With regards to the bike. I have just got back from nipping up the woods for an hour on it. So here are my first impressions, having never riding an Evo before buying it.

Riding position is quite a lot different to the Rev 3. It seems more like the Gas Gas riding position to me where the pegs seem higher and the bars seem lower. This felt strange at first but after the first 20 minutes felt normal. The bike also feels noticably smaller than the Rev 3, and you can tell that it is lighter. The carburation seems better from the off without any tweaking and it seems a lot crisper. Rear suspension although it is still a bit stiff seems to work better, although I have only been over and up a few small tree root steps. Seems to ride up and over better. With regards to the power delivery it seems very similar to my Rev on the softer ignition setting. The other one seems to make it a litlle livelier off the bottom end but not by much. At the moment tickover is a little bit high but I will leave it for another couple of hors riding before I start adjusting things.

The biggest difference I found was the turning circle, it is amazing it feels like the bars will turn for ever and could catch you out.

The finish on it looks really good as well.

All in all from first impressions well pleased.

Also had a go on my mates 2010 Pro which was nice, I was quite surpised though that although the Pro is lighter the Beta actually felt smaller?

Thanks for the 200 info lads, only just spotted this. Doogle cant wait for Sunday mate,loads of peeps telling me it will have no-where near enough power for me but I think they may be wrong these days,bikes have come along way and as both of you have said its improved your riding. I very rarely go to a trial where theres a massive 4th gear climb and chances are I'd not get up most of the time on anything so no marks lost there. Plenty of times I struggle to hang on and the bike is telling me where to go rather than the other way round (07 Caby) I will get some stick but hopefully I'll be giving it back in the results

Edited by The Addict

200 - been there done that, now on a 300....

However, back to insurance.

A few years ago NU changed the wording on the certificate to imply trials were not covered. It was all to do with track day boys fiddle claims.

No point talking to the broker - I somehow managed to phone their underwriter bods. Explained road trials, sent in a programme etc & it was absolutely no prob for reworded certificate.

Later I change to Carole Nash for insurance & now my certifcates come with correct wording, unprompted.

200 - been there done that, now on a 300....

However, back to insurance.

A few years ago NU changed the wording on the certificate to imply trials were not covered. It was all to do with track day boys fiddle claims.

No point talking to the broker - I somehow managed to phone their underwriter bods. Explained road trials, sent in a programme etc & it was absolutely no prob for reworded certificate.

Later I change to Carole Nash for insurance & now my certifcates come with correct wording, unprompted.

Got my new Aviva NU certificate through the other day, and unlike the old one it doesn't mention Trials