John Hartle

ranger17

OK folks, some information from you historically knowledgeable types please.

I wasn't sure where to place this one so I've gone for General Trials rather than UK Trials to give it wider coverage in view of the subject's international reputation.

The name of John Hartle will surely be familiar to some on here but probably not to others. A member of the Manchester 17 MCC, John was a top-level international road-racer. From Chapel-en-le-frith in the UK Peak District, he wore the town's coat of arms on his helmets. To quote MCN's Peter Howdle, "he was an outstanding example of a great rider who never won a world title."

A former Norton, MV-Agusta and Gilera rider, in the 1958 Senior TT he became (after Bob MacIntyre) only the second rider to lap the TT course at over 100 mph. When John's MV caught fire, eventual winner John Surtees became the third.

Hartle died at the Oliver's Mount circuit, Scarborough in August 1968.

Like many racers, John was also an active trials rider. We have photos of him in the 1954 Bemrose and a 1963 Lightweight MCC trial in Ulster. In his memory, Man17 have the John Hartle Trophy, still competed for at our Hipwell Trial in the Peak Forest area, not far from Chapel. His name also appears on the club's John Simister Memorial (Racing) Trophy no fewer than 12 times.

John's racing career is well-documented, but we don't know that much about his career and achievements in trials, which a family member is now trying to research.

Over to you. Anything you can come up with will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

I believe he was well known to the Comerfords boys at Thames Ditton, best to speak to a chap called Jock Wilson, he knew him well.

I do know that he rode a Velocette in trials in the late 50's and early 60's.

PM me and I'll see what I can do, I do have Jock's number but I won't put it on an open website.

Big John

Edited by Big John

I remember seeing John Hartle at a few Cheshire Center Trials back in the 50's - I belonged to the Oswestry club, and we also rode quite a lot of events put on by the South Liverpool club - maybe some info: maybe pictures could be sourced by contacting these.

Many Road racers kept in shape by riding winter Trials, and I recall riding in a Time Trial called the Peaks ( If my memory serves me correctly) which was a real mud bath - It was won by Geoff Duke on a modified Ariel Colt. - John Hartle was a really nice guy.