315r Wont Tick Over

serious3

cleaned and oiled the airfilter on my new to me 315r . oiled it with 4stroke engine oil and squeezed it till no more came out, blew the airbox out with the airline refitted it and started 2nd kick. now the thing seems to "surge" on a steady,just off idle,throttle ie turning circle speed. it also wont tick over either. am i right in thinking that the carb needs cleaning? low speed jets blocked?

now i was also told it was a 2002 model but the forks look like the 99/00 model and the discs are solid with no slots in the rotors. i have had a look round thru google but i cant seem to find anything to date/de-code montesa frame numbers the number is VTDMT03A0VExxxxxx and the engine no is NN3Exxxxxx anyone out there tell me what year mine is?

Have a look here - http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/lofive...php/t24275.html. Martin knows his stuff.

Re. running problems. Almost certainly carb related. If the bike is new to you you'll need to make sure everything is clean in there. Don't forget to take the 2nd jet out from down the hole that the pilot jet comes out of - very easy to miss.

thanks wherry so mines a 97 then... hmmm time to talk to the man i got it from.

am i right in thinking that the jets are fixed rather than adjustable? ie i can take em out and clean them then put them back in and not worry how they are set??

Yes the jets are fixed as you say. Just unscrew them and make sure they and the holes they come out of are clean. The main jet has a fairly big hole but the 2 pilot jets have very small holes in them so spend some time examining them to make sure none of the holes are blocked. The small mixture screw on the outside is adjustable and is set around 1 1/2 turns out for a start. It's an air screw on the earlier carbs so screwing it out weakens the mixture.

is it possible to over oil the filters?? if it was over oiled would that cause it to not idle properly?? i've cleaned the carb out this evening there was some debris in there but not much however there was some water in the float bowl..... i'm going to dump the fuel in the tank into the wifes car and dry the tank out tommorow and then refit and try it again!

is it possible to over oil the filters?? if it was over oiled would that cause it to not idle properly??

Yes it is possible to over-oil. You need a bit of (preferably sticky) filter oil on there but not too much.

i've cleaned the carb out this evening there was some debris in there but not much however there was some water in the float bowl..... i'm going to dump the fuel in the tank into the wifes car and dry the tank out tommorow and then refit and try it again!

The water's your probable culprit. You only need a tiny bit in the wrong place and the surface tension keeps it there, stopping the proper working of the carb.

Just to be clear I put Unmixed old petrol in my partner's car..........

ok all cleaned and put back together running away the finest and ticking over lovely! thanks for the replies and help. one thing though the air mix screw is 2 1/4 turns out ?? however after a good thrashing up the road and back this evening the plug looks good, a nice tan colour and clean not sooty at all. i'll think i will leave it alone.

Great! Glad to hear it's going well.

Don't forget that the plug appearance after a thrash up the road will only tell you that the main jet is OK. The air screw is to adjust the throttle response really just off idle and this can change with atmospherics from day to day. 2 1/4 turns out is a bit more than specced but is probably OK if throttle response is good, and you may have a bigger than standard pilot jet in there thus needing a bit more air.