World Without Spokes

malcra

Ah clips from some of Dale Malasek's videos. I loved those videos especially the voice over. Dale's an airline pilot and that dry voice that comes out of the cockpit during a flight is what you get with these tapes with just a twist of dry humor. The other thing I miss about the commentary is it is highly informed. I've lost track of most of my tapes over the years as I loaned them out and even sent some to the Leno show to get them interested in a appearance by Jordi Tarres at the time of the last Donner world round. Even though I had a producer interested it just never worked out. Pity, it would have been amazing.

Ah clips from some of Dale Malasek's videos. I loved those videos especially the voice over. Dale's an airline pilot and that dry voice that comes out of the cockpit during a flight is what you get with these tapes with just a twist of dry humor. The other thing I miss about the commentary is it is highly informed. I've lost track of most of my tapes over the years as I loaned them out and even sent some to the Leno show to get them interested in a appearance by Jordi Tarres at the time of the last Donner world round. Even though I had a producer interested it just never worked out. Pity, it would have been amazing.

Dale's Action Video tapes are my favorite and I'm lucky enough to have what is essentially a full set. One of the things that make them interesting is that Dale would give a short history and tour of the area where the event was being held and he knew a lot about each rider. I converted the VHS tapes to DVD so I can play them in the shop and not worry about wearing out the original tape.

On the No Spokes topic, as I remember, the spoked machines were excluded from the SSDT in 87' as the spokes were deemed a hazard to one's limbs, the safety marshalls were worried that someone could stick his arm in the spokes and lose it.

Jon

Jon, of course you are referring to the MAG wheels those bikes ran. I think they were awesome and I am suprised that no one has tryed to bring them back today. Surely they would still not be deemed dangerous, or the design could be tweeked slightly! That video brings back the memories! I was sponsored by TMI the Fantic importer then. I did not ride the world round, and as I remember, I was aksed to give up my bike for one of the World riders as the factory did not send enough bikes. So, a young Italian named Ezio Regen rode my Fantic 303. I was nominated to act as a minder for Bernie. This was before minders were the norm and I had to do it all on foot! Backpack full of tools and hoofing it around the loop! I must have been pretty fit back then eh! I think Ryan Young scored world points that day too, it was his backyard in Pennsylvania. I think Bosis won the event, does anyone remember.....

Steve

I am suprised that no one has tryed to bring them back today. Surely they would still not be deemed dangerous, or the design could be tweeked slightly!

Steve

I've seen someone get their foot caught in a conventional spoked wheel, broke his ankle. It was a twin shock and one shock had to be removed to extract his foot.

Might have been slightly more painful with a ham slicer wheel ?

DSCF0010.jpg

I dont ride this pup enough to worry about chopping my legs off. :biggrinsanta: This 1984 Merlin 350cc Gallach Replica has cast magnesium hubs with 6 cast alloy spokes per wheel.

I find these unusual Spanish manufacturers really interesting. The factories made them out of passion rather than JUST for profit and broke the predicable mould. Sure they went bust but Merlin still continues in Gasgas and Mecatecno left some georgous bikes behind.

Am working on a 1986 approx Mecatecno 326cc Dragonfly which is another bike with 3 spoke wheels , this time in flourescent orange with a matching frame. It should be a beut once done. Just rebuilt the engine and stripped the frame.

DSCF0010.jpg

I dont ride this pup enough to worry about chopping my legs off. :biggrinsanta: This 1984 Merlin 350cc Gallach Replica has cast magnesium hubs with 6 cast alloy spokes per wheel.

I find these unusual Spanish manufacturers really interesting. The factories made them out of passion rather than JUST for profit and broke the predicable mould. Sure they went bust but Merlin still continues in Gasgas and Mecatecno left some georgous bikes behind.

Am working on a 1986 approx Mecatecno 326cc Dragonfly which is another bike with 3 spoke wheels , this time in flourescent orange with a matching frame. It should be a beut once done. Just rebuilt the engine and stripped the frame.

How do these wheels compare weight wise to spoked/drum hubs ?

How do these wheels compare weight wise to spoked/drum hubs ?

The rim and spokes are alloy and are light as youd expect. The magnesium hub is very light .....there's more weight in the paint. LOL

gallatecnoiw4-1.png

This is a favourite pic of mine

Come on guys ----lets see your 3 spoked wheel Photos

Hi Guys

Heres another one for you. Merlin with six spokes parked at the bottom of laggan locks circa 1986

Sorry dont know who the rider was

scan0063.jpg

Bye for now

Cookie

Cookie , thank for that photo.BRILLIANT. I had no idea that twinshock model made it over here to the UK.

Interesting fact for 3 spoke wierdos -

1 - There is no footage onthe web of Skywalkers in action.

2- This is the only photo on the net of Skywalkers in action

estorch.png

There must be more out there ?

DSCF0010.jpg