Carb Settings

grahambaskin

most folk can adjust all they need with the air screw or mixture screw just set it ticking over as slow as possible and screw in or out untill it runs smoothest if its banging and lumpy (dare I say like beta's tend to) it's too rich if it hunts (speeds up & slows down) & or knocks when you snap throttle open it's too weak. I think it's a mixture screw on your bike so it would be out to richen mixture. if it is an air screw it's the opposite. (some carbs meter the amount of air before the pilot jet e.g mikuni on beta and some meter the total amount of fuel mix after the jet.) It's unlikely you would need to change jets at this stage in the life of the bike but they must be clean particularly pilot jet(it's tiny one nearest engine on gas gas)from memory.

What you need to do first is make sure the rest of the carburettor is clean inside, you need to remove it from the bike, take the 14mm brass nut out from underneath & remove the float bowl, line everything up on the bench in order & remove the pilot jat & starter jat. blow them out with compressed air & refit back together... By the sounds of it I bet the pilot jet is blocked!!

With the fuel screw (the one to the left of the idle screw) turn it all the way in, then back it out 3.5 turns, this is a good base setting but all bikes run differant.

With the tickover screw you need to just start the bike up & turn it in until the bike is just ticking over nicely or where you like it, if the bike is running lumpy (rich) then just turn the fuel screw in a quarter of a turn at a time until it runs better. If the bike is hunting for fuel (weak) then turn the fuel screw out until it runs better...

Hope this helps.

• 8 years later...