2001 Bike To 2008-9-10

boogieman

Hi guys/gals, I know that sounds like a bit of a daft question, but read on.

I am enjoying playing on my bike (2001 321 gas gas ) two or three times a week, which for an oldish bike in the hands of a novice is already begining to show with bangs and bruises (on both of us :thumbup: ) So I was thinking about getting a second/spare bike to ease my bikes suffering a little.

I have seen a couple of similer bikes (one is the same model and year) and was gong to grab one when I began wondering if maybe a move to a newer model bike might be a consideration.

At first I hadnt thought it wouldn't make much difference (being a beginner) but now I'm wondering if a lighter more nimble bike might be less tiring or a bit easier to ride? (although I'm not struggling with mine, she's a big pussy cat)

I'm not trying to "buy" a step up in talent I am just curious as to whether a newer bike might be an idea sooner rather than later.

I didnt buy a new bike at first as I didnt want to do the typical 40+yr old blokes trick of brand new everything and then realise I had no time, patience or talent. fortunately it appears I have two of the above :gay:

So, the question then, would an 08-09-10 year bike be a noticable difference for a beginner, over my 01 bike?

cheers

Simple answer - Yes.

Of course a new bike will feel different, thousands of pounds of research and development dont go nowhere. But what I do think will make the biggest difference, is downsizing... As a beginner, a 200, or 250 would be plenty! Make you much less tired to ride, and much more controllable. Even champions dont need the big bikes.

Some people dont get on with newer bikes, best to go along to a local trial, and ride a newer bike there, someone will give you a shot on theres without a doubt. It's all mainly down to personal preference.

Bikes dont appear to of changed much from 06 to now, apart from tubular frames and that nonsense. Grab yourself, if you can, an 07 sherco or gas gas 250 and you'll progress no end, I can almost guarantee, will be much lighter, less of a handful, yet still with all the power you could ever need. Better geometry and suspension to the 01 bike. Best part being, they wont set you back that much, and are much easier to maintain!

Pick up an 06 or 07 bike for around

I recently went from riding a 2001 Sherco to a 2010 Gas Gas and the difference is really worth it. The upgrade in suspension is worth it alone. It is much easier to learn the trick stuff and the bike is so much more fun to ride. If you think riding trials is fun now, wait till you hop on a new bike!