1957/58 Ssdt Ariel

lenore

I have been asked to write an article about a vintage Ariel HT3 that I have that took part in the 1955 SSDT and would love to find out who rode it in that trial.

anyone with a 1957 or 1958 program or info that might help and add a personal touch to this article would be very helpful!

Reg number RSF802

Frame number CRT514

Engine number TH121

Thanks for any information or pointers!

Lenore

I probably have what you wish for! Certainly the SSDT programmes are a snip for me as I have them all post war, in my private archive, up to the time when T&MX produced the programme as part of the weekly paper. Many of these were not preserved because of being used in bad weather! I am still asembling the ones I don't have as time goes by!

I am 75% sure that I know who originally owned that bike, but I would have to check, for if that is the original registration mark, it indicates an Edinburgh CC registration from around 1957/58.

You may be in luck my friend.

PM me please!

Big John

I have a positive 100% identification of that bike.

I have tonight spoken by telephone to a man who was a very close friend of the original owner (now deceased) and has confirmed both the rider and that the bike was bought new as an HT3 (350cc) Ariel and my friend at the same time bought a HT5 (500cc) Ariel.

In fact there is a photo of the front end of "RSF 802" in my book, "Scotland's Rich Mixture" the bike is parked/mounted on a fallen tree trunk clearly showing the front number plate mounted across the front forks!

How's that for a couple of hours research?

Big John