Float Height

grib

The Gas Gas handbook shows the float height being measured at 18.5mm, does anyone know whether this should be measured with the spring loaded pin in the float needle compressed or not?

Also the Gas Gas Museum site says the float valve operating arms should be parallel with the gasket surface, mine are not parallel when the spring is compressed or not compressed.

What settings for float height is anyone using succesfully, and how do you measure it??

Edited by Grib

Good Question !

I was wondering this myself this morning when I had my Carb in bits ?

Even the Dellorto website does'nt tell you if the fuel valve pin needs to be compressed when the float arms are set !

Edited by Spokes

Top fun have a nice ally float height checker and I have used it with some success. With the dellorto just tip it upside down and it measures 18.5 exactly just simply natural level with the bowl off. As a one off you can just cut a sheet ally to size or a bit of cardboard. They rarely move once set.

Nigel, it sounds like your floats are attached to the arm that closes the needle valve. My bike has a PHBL carb on it with separate floats sliding up & down pins in the float bowl, the arm that the floats act on is not parallel to the gasket surface when it is resting on the needle so you can measure different heights all along its length.

Right the brass strips should be equal in vertical height from the machined flat bowl mating surface, where the gasket goes.

So if you had an upturned u shape it would sit where the gasket does and read 18.5 up to the 2 brass bits. Floats don't matter as its measuring the shut off point. Any help?