Cheapest Option For Transport

jonnybmac

I currently own a citroen saxo. I'm thinknig of saving up for a 4x4 but until that time comes, I need something to transport my bike (when i buy it) to its destination. Would I be able to get a bike rack for a saxo? Or better to just get a tow bar and trailer? What sort of expense would I be looking at? I live in the north east so that guy down kent who does quality trailers wouldnt be much use to me

Im looking into getting a transit van, and kitting it out a bit, maybe even a bog......comfortable, and there's room to get changed., although I will be keeping the car also. I currently have a rack, but find myself watching through the rear-view mirror, instead of in front !!!

Im looking into getting a transit van, and kitting it out a bit, maybe even a bog......comfortable, and there's room to get changed., although I will be keeping the car also. I currently have a rack, but find myself watching through the rear-view mirror, instead of in front !!!

A van is the way to go if your budget allows, I would'nt be without one these days

I used to run a van when I was road racing, you need it for spare wheels, tyre warmers, generator, tool kits etc. But for trials it became too much of an expense. Plus I got it stuck a few times in the field, so I sold it and now just use a trailer.

Unless you ride two or three times a week (living on red bull and star bars :crying: ) a trailer is perfectly acceptable and the other 6 days a week you've got a normal vehicle.

Saxo will not take the nose weight of a trials bike at 78kg plus rack. If you had an accident you may find the insurance void. Look on Ebay or gumtree for local trialers.

You dont need a 4x4 as vans are way better, no dragging a bike in salty weather in winter.

a van is the best way forward in my opinion for this reason when you load your bike at home no one can see whats in the van so when your on your way home the scumbags cant see the bike ,where as they see you drive past with the bike on a trailer on show all they do is follow you to see where you live and then the rest is history been there an done that so van is now the only way for me

I want a 4x4 as my everyday car too, which is why a van would be pointless as I dont want to used a van as a daily and have no space to occupy 2 vehicles. Think I'll have to get a tow car for now and pull a trailer, that way once I get a 4x4, the trailer can just go onto that.

Thanks for your responces people

Edited by jonnybmac

It is good if it is your daily work van!

Cannot figure why you guys don't have pick-up trucks? :crying:

As Dabster says "weather" I used to use a pickup truck ago, heavy rain and spray whilst driving up the Motorway, iced up carbs when you get there and no-where to get changed after your covered in ****. Vans are the way to go but I do have mine work as well.

As Dabster says "weather" I used to use a pickup truck ago, heavy rain and spray whilst driving up the Motorway, iced up carbs when you get there and no-where to get changed after your covered in ****. Vans are the way to go but I do have mine work as well.

Obvioulsy a van is better than a trialer. If you can use a van for other things too, then it's perfect. If you only ride once a week or less, it's quite a sacrifice to make for just a few hours use on a Sunday morning.

Using a trailer also has another advantage inthat it stops us calling in a the pub o the way home from an event because we can't leave the bikes unsupervised, :crying: therefore riding doesn't cost me even more 'brownie' points at home as I don't come home late and looking too happy! :crying: